News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jumbojak

The typical loan on a house like that would be fifteen years. Insurance can be challenging though.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Tank

Quote from: jumbojak on July 12, 2018, 02:40:01 AM
The typical loan on a house like that would be fifteen years. Insurance can be challenging though.
Why is insurance an issue? Weather?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

jumbojak

Quote from: Tank on July 12, 2018, 08:41:45 AM

There are very few companies who will insure an old house without significant work being done. Knob and tube wiring, total lack of insulation, and substandard foundations are some of the main reasons. The companies that do insure those houses are very particular and schedule regular inspections.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on July 12, 2018, 12:43:08 PM
Quote from: Tank on July 12, 2018, 08:41:45 AM

There are very few companies who will insure an old house without significant work being done. Knob and tube wiring, total lack of insulation, and substandard foundations are some of the main reasons. The companies that do insure those houses are very particular and schedule regular inspections.

Had to look up "knob and tube wiring", never seen this in old buildings, even ones that had not been modenised. Closest was ceramic plates in pairs that clsmped and separated uninsulated wires. Later it was lead and oiled paper tape. Now I think those are enough to get a house declared as not safe to be inhabited, but I know of one near me that still had lead-and-tape about 15 years ago - I wired in new outlets!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

jumbojak

Over here they won't condemn a building for knob and tube or make you replace with insulated wiring, unless you touch it. Once you make a repair to knob and tube you are illegal.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 12, 2018, 02:12:30 AM
Quote from: jumbojak on July 12, 2018, 01:48:49 AM
You could BUY a house around here for that kind of money. A nice house at that. For $340 a month you could buy a fixer upper.

But how many years would you have to spend paying? 20? :notsure:

(I wouldn't buy a house anyways, whether I'm going to stay here long enough is uncertain at this point.)

It is a bit sad that Brazil invested in you, in your education and now you're thinking of leaving.
I'm not judging, though Brazil definitely shouldn't have mugged you at gun point.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Dave

Quote from: Bad Penny II on July 12, 2018, 03:20:24 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 12, 2018, 02:12:30 AM
Quote from: jumbojak on July 12, 2018, 01:48:49 AM
You could BUY a house around here for that kind of money. A nice house at that. For $340 a month you could buy a fixer upper.

But how many years would you have to spend paying? 20? :notsure:

(I wouldn't buy a house anyways, whether I'm going to stay here long enough is uncertain at this point.)

It is a bit sad that Brazil invested in you, in your education and now you're thinking of leaving.
I'm not judging, though Brazil definitely shouldn't have mugged you at gun point.

This is following a reoeat pattern in history. If a government allows social conditions to deteriorate seriously, in any way, the intelligent and skilled ones get out if they can. Britain's big Brain Drain was in the 1950s - 1970s, caused mainly by industrial unrest and increasing taxes - but without compensating factors.

America gained from that, and Australia probably did as well. A lot of skilled craftsmen followed the eggheads. My father got the emigration papers as a welder but never took the plunge. In fact you could say both those countries were built by waves of imported skills and labour!

If a society is going down hill a lot of "non-essential" people get the sack anyway, why wait to find out you have possibly have no job prospects? And students/graduates have always been mobile.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Dave on July 12, 2018, 05:00:17 PM
This is following a reoeat pattern in history. If a government allows social conditions to deteriorate seriously, in any way, the intelligent and skilled ones get out if they can. Britain's big Brain Drain was in the 1950s - 1970s, caused mainly by industrial unrest and increasing taxes - but without compensating factors.

America gained from that, and Australia probably did as well. A lot of skilled craftsmen followed the eggheads. My father got the emigration papers as a welder but never took the plunge. In fact you could say both those countries were built by waves of imported skills and labour!

Granted.

Phinx pushed the education is good barrow.
Spend on teaching because it's good
There's so many that are so poor
Don't spend on them, pay for my learning
But when I get enough learning I'll be out of here.

It's a sad situation
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

xSilverPhinx

Well, I didn't say leave the country necessarily, it's a goal of mine but I'll settle for moving to another city if the job prospects are good. I doubt it though, Brazil just recently froze investments in the public education sector for 20 years, so getting a job and continuing to research in a good university seems more and more unlikely.

But it seems to be a tendency though, people are leaving the country in search of postdoc or teaching positions elsewhere. I agree it isn't the best for the country, but what are you gonna do? :shrug:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

jumbojak

The central air conditioning broke down this morning so I'm off to buy a window unit as a stopgap until I can get the big unit fixed. Then I'm off to a funeral. I hate funerals.

Tom62

Moving to a new house isn't fun, when
1. you have too much stuff to pack and carry
2. temperatures are above 30 degrees Celsius.
3. you can't afford a professional moving company
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Dave

Quote from: Tom62 on July 15, 2018, 01:31:38 PM

Last time my parents moved (pre WW2) I was told it was three miles with a handcart borrowed from work.

Tom62

Quote from: Dave on July 15, 2018, 02:53:24 PM
Quote from: Tom62 on July 15, 2018, 01:31:38 PM

Last time my parents moved (pre WW2) I was told it was three miles with a handcart borrowed from work.

Times have surely changed. My wife and I are moving 50km away. The moving company estimated that we would need 4 lorries (and more than 7,000 Euros) for the job.  We've decided to hire two people with a van instead and let them transport the "easier" stuff in several goes; plus a professional company to transport our furniture. Some of the bulkier, expensive and more fragile stuff, we've transported ourselves.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

xSilverPhinx

I think I've come down with the flu or something -- a lovely fever added to a sore throat and aching joints kept me up practically all night, tossing and turning. :(

It's days like these when I feel so alive.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

jumbojak