News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jumbojak

Quote from: Dave on September 15, 2018, 07:07:53 PM
Quote from: jumbojak on September 15, 2018, 06:59:47 PM
The secret service used to be part of the treasury department.

Ah! And they don't want to lose that little tentacle . . .

It really is a very Byzantine structure.

I'm not sure what the reasoning is. Perhaps it's to maintain continuity for financial institutions that are familiar with the organization but the Secret Service is a part of the DHS now.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dark Lightning

MiL fell yesterday and isn't able to stand by herself.  :( I had to pick her up every time she had to pee, which was about every 20 minutes. She's 91. Got an ambulance ride to the e-room. We'll see what happens. My back hurts like a bitch; I shouldn't be lifting people.

Dave

Quote from: Fireball on September 19, 2018, 09:15:48 PM
MiL fell yesterday and isn't able to stand by herself.  :( I had to pick her up every time she had to pee, which was about every 20 minutes. She's 91. Got an ambulance ride to the e-room. We'll see what happens. My back hurts like a bitch; I shouldn't be lifting people.

Nope, but shame about the MiL as well.

Hope it's a temporarily pinched nerve or something.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Fireball on September 19, 2018, 09:15:48 PM

Probably not, but if there's no other way try and keep your back as straight as possible when lifting her, and bend the knees. It takes a lot of the load off the lower back.   

My mother suffers from pain in various areas, and this may seem funny but she uses an anti-inflammatory spray that's technically for horses. Works like a charm. It smells really bad, though. 
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

jumbojak

I think my days of working on heavy equipment are numbered, if not over completely. Today I was putting a tractor back together and lost feeling in my arm again. You can't work on things that are heavy when you can't lift the parts. At least not in the field. If I was in a shop with a hoist or gantry I could do it but I'd be slow.

That sucks about the MIL Fireball. I hope that both of you are okay.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on September 19, 2018, 11:12:41 PM
... Today I was putting a tractor back together and lost feeling in my arm again. ...

That is so odd. Have you gone to a neurologist to run some tests on the nerves in your arm? Is it the same arm as before?

Dark Lightning

Thanks for the kind words, folks. :) She's running a temperature and is dizzy and weak, so they admitted her to the hospital.

JJ, that sounds like a repetitive motion injury. I had carpal tunnel syndrome in both hands, and had release surgeries last year. Neither hand is all the way up to snuff, but they are getting better. There's probably something further up your arm that has an effect like the carpal tunnel, but I'm no doctor. It could also be an artifact of your neck nerve issue. I know that when I get pains in my legs when I am sleeping that I have to roll onto my back- it's sciatica. Laying on my back takes the pinch out of my spinal cord. The pain usually wakes me up.

jumbojak

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 19, 2018, 11:17:55 PM
Quote from: jumbojak on September 19, 2018, 11:12:41 PM
... Today I was putting a tractor back together and lost feeling in my arm again. ...

That is so odd. Have you gone to a neurologist to run some tests on the nerves in your arm? Is it the same arm as before?

I've been to an orthopedist but won't be going back. It's the same problem I had before. It has happened a few times since.

Dave

Quote from: Fireball on September 19, 2018, 11:45:31 PM
Thanks for the kind words, folks. :) She's running a temperature and is dizzy and weak, so they admitted her to the hospital.

JJ, that sounds like a repetitive motion injury. I had carpal tunnel syndrome in both hands, and had release surgeries last year. Neither hand is all the way up to snuff, but they are getting better. There's probably something further up your arm that has an effect like the carpal tunnel, but I'm no doctor. It could also be an artifact of your neck nerve issue. I know that when I get pains in my legs when I am sleeping that I have to roll onto my back- it's sciatica. Laying on my back takes the pinch out of my spinal cord. The pain usually wakes me up.

Yewh, I've had carpel tunnel as well, still get lins and needles in my left hsnd nearly 30 years later, at first they thought it was pressure in a nerve in my neck. After a touch of sciatica, 20 years ago, there is still some nerve pressure or damage, there is a patch on my left calf that gets erroneous sensations, hot, cold, bruised or numb. But the cause is probably up in my hip area where the big nerve bundle splits up.

No one

BILLS! No how many times I pay them, they just keep coming back!

Tom62

Quote from: No one on September 20, 2018, 06:09:38 PM
BILLS! No how many times I pay them, they just keep coming back!

I can feel your pain. I wonder why there is only one company, that grant me some money at the beginning of the month and hundreds, that want to "steal" it from me during the month.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Dave

Drat!

I vacuumed the lounge carpet earlier - it was about its 21st birthday after all, laid the year before my heart attack.   :cleaning:

Then I washed the bed linen, the black stuff.

Remember my place is tiny, a few steps between each area.

What I did not notice was that a Kleenex had got caught up with the bedding. Notice I said Kleenex, specific not the now generic kleenex - it is significant.

The tissue broke up into tiny pieces, little white bits all over the black bedding . . .  >:(  A lot of those shed onto the kitchen floor. Before I could sweep them up a proportion of those stuck to the soles of my slippers.

Can you guess where this is going!

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Kleenex turn to mush almost as easily as toilet tissue - I normally use a brand called Saxon, they do not mush up in the machine but are still fairly gentle on the schnozzle.

xSilverPhinx

Kleenex 1  - Dave 0

;D

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 21, 2018, 04:50:04 PM
Kleenex 1  - Dave 0

;D

Worry not, Silver. It was written to be amusing to cheer me up!

Dark Lightning

All that work, and entropy caught up with you, anyway. My MiL is famous for the tissues up her sleeves. We find them in the washer and dryer all the time.