News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

The Health and/or Diet Thread

Started by Sandra Craft, January 21, 2012, 08:20:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: Traveler on January 25, 2012, 05:17:03 AM
Sigh. I keep saying I'm going to eat healthier and today I scarfed down a ton of potato chips. Sigh. Oh well, tomorrow's another day, right?
And another ton of potato chips :D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Traveler

Quote from: Tank on January 25, 2012, 08:38:57 AM
Quote from: Traveler on January 25, 2012, 05:17:03 AM
Sigh. I keep saying I'm going to eat healthier and today I scarfed down a ton of potato chips. Sigh. Oh well, tomorrow's another day, right?
And another ton of potato chips :D

Trouble maker!!! LOL
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Ali

Don't feel bad Trav.  I forgot my lunch at home this morning, so I've been thinking about where I should do to get lunch near my office.  I decided on an egg and tomato sammy from Subway - not too bad yet.  But then I realized that while I'm there, I could pick up a side of Miss Vickie's Jalapeno chips.....*drooool*

Crow

If you have an iphone and are into exercise check out Nike Training Club it takes up a good chunk of memory but is seriously good. Also even though its aimed at women it is just as good for men.
Retired member.

Whitney

I've started doing yoga and pilates again.  Stomach hurts today; but in the good "i'm getting stronger" way and thankfully not too bad (which means I didn't take too much time off exercise). 

Bob Harper's Yoga for the warrior kicks my ass...I can get through every other yoga home dvd I've had without much issue no matter how out of shape I have been but the sequencing he uses makes the yoga 'active' and I can only make it about half way through (full program is 1 hour).  His yoga is harder than the crunch pilates which I can do 30 minutes of and not feel killed.  I think stretching while toning using my body weight might be just what I need to get back into running...thinking back that's what I did before getting into running in college and may be where I messed up by skipping it this time around.  I want to be able to do all the moves in the bob harper dvd by...let's say..2013 (yes they are that hard...and sexy/cool looking).

Does anyone know of a challenging pilates dvd I could buy?  Right now I"m just using one off netflix that is by Crunch has a brunette instructor and is broken down into three 10-minute sections that target different areas.  I will be needing to get something more advanced to keep the challenge up at some point (assuming it will still be challenging for a few months since I'm following some of the modifications).

For some reason I hate weight lifting and traditional stretching but yoga and pilates I can enjoy.  And it seems to help my back too (I need to remind myself of this when I get lazy).

My ankle has been feeling better for a whole week now so I'm going to start walking on the treadmill again and resist the urge to up the pace to a jog.  Time will tell if running is actually going to be possible or not but I'm not planning on trying it again till I lose another 20 lbs.

Oh and we're going to the beach this summer and it's our 5 year anniversary...so motivation!  At the very least I will be at least the size I was when we were married (it's fairly easily doable; i've done the math)...want to lose a bit more than that though because I was a bit chubby when we got married.

Ali

Whitney, do you have "On Demand" with your cable?  We have a lot of free exercise videos on our "On Demand" including yoga and whatnot.

Whitney

Quote from: Ali on February 05, 2012, 03:47:16 PM
Whitney, do you have "On Demand" with your cable?  We have a lot of free exercise videos on our "On Demand" including yoga and whatnot.

No, we don't have cable, canceled it when we moved because we weren't using it that much.  We just use netflix and basic hulu for watching shows.

Whitney

I just switched back to using Noom/Calorific again for my nutrition tracking.  I had switched back to detailed calorie counting when my phone was out of service and think all it is doing is adding extra stress.
I know how to eat right; there is no reason for me to be torturing myself calculating every meal down to the exact calories....such a pain.  Every week it will average out what I entered and automatically post how well I ate to facebook...so it has the embarrassment factor if it's really bad; and I can switch it to daily if I notice I need more frequent accountability to more than just myself.

And yoga is progressing well...even though it is still challenging, I am now able to complete the whole 60 minutes of the warrior yoga.  I apparently didn't taken too much time off because I can still touch my palms to the floor (like going past touching toes).

Sweetdeath

Doing an experiment right now; cutting all.meats and fried foods. I am eating only veggies (raw) , boiled eggs, saltines crackers, tuna, and  drinking black coffee twice a day.

I want to see if I get resilts  at the end of the water.

Ps- vitamin water zero is my god~
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Dobermonster

About a month and a half ago (Christmas eve, actually), I was diagnosed with Crohn's, in addition to the Celiac sprue we figured out I had a year ago. Wasn't being very good about following a gluten-free diet, so I started dropping weight like crazy . . . now am back on GF and also reading up on The Specific Carbohydrate Diet. The efficacy of the diet isn't well established, but the basis makes sense, so I'll give it a go. For anyone else with digestive issues, give this a go and see if it helps. It's based on the premise that certain carbohydrates are more likely to cause intestinal inflammation and promote the overgrowth of "bad" bacterial gut flora. My doctor would personally like everyone to give going gluten-free a try, whether you have a true intolerance or not. His observation was that eliminating gluten in his diet gave him more energy and improved his digestive health. And if you've already decided on trying a diet restrictive in carbohydrates, why not? ;)

As for exercise, well, I don't have the patience to be a gym rat, so a few months ago I joined a jiu-jitsu class. Hiiiiiiiiii-yah! :D

Whitney

There is also suppose to be something special about using sprouted grains instead of regular grains.  Something about the sprouting process burning off something that would otherwise be bad.  Yes...I'm very helpful.

Whitney

I just signed up for a 5k on March 31st with a team of freethinkers our team name is Left Behinds

oh, and topic stickied.

Ali

Whitney, that's awesome!

Thanks for sticky-ing.  I need to see this more often as a reminder....

Amicale

I'm in a bit of a health mess right now. I'm trying to cut back on carbs majorly in my diet, trying to eat leaner meats, more veggies and fruit, while also trying to eat smaller portions and get more exercise. At the same time as the diet changes, I'm attempting to cut the salt in my diet way back, as well as the caffeine way back -- I have higher blood pressure, and I need to get it down because the last thing my daughter needs is for me to have some kind of major health event. Sigh. Oh, also, I can't drink alchohol for medical reasons. Finally, to top everything off, I'm also trying to quit a nicotene addiction. And no, I don't smoke. I used to. I went from the smokes to the gum... and then got hooked on the gum. Go figure. So yesterday, I went cold turkey and quit that outright.

Just... less carbs... less salt... less/barely any coffee... no alcohol... no nicotene...

I know all the above is awesome for me and I NEED to stick with it and refuse to cave and tell myself I can get myself back into shape and straighten myself out. It's just a lot to give up in a short period, and the loss of caffeine and nicotene is apparently messing with me. Yep, I know I'm whining, and that my post belongs on that 'first world problems' webpage, because I hardly have it bad. Just frustrated, dealing with cravings, and wound up blowing off my diet and eating absolute JUNK today to make up for the other stuff I can't have.

I'm trying to convince myself to just stick with what I need to do, and to NOT go out and gain quick access to caffeine, alchohol or nicotene, because tonight I really wish I had at least one of the three, preferably the last two. Gaaaah.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Asmodean

Quote from: Sweetdeath on February 10, 2012, 08:04:22 PM
Doing an experiment right now; cutting all.meats and fried foods. I am eating only veggies (raw) , boiled eggs, saltines crackers, tuna, and  drinking black coffee twice a day.

I want to see if I get resilts  at the end of the water.

Ps- vitamin water zero is my god~
Don't worry, The Asmo will not let the uneaten burgers go to waste while you do that.  :D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.