News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

The Health and/or Diet Thread

Started by Sandra Craft, January 21, 2012, 08:20:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean

The Asmo is now on a healthy diet - he is adding green stuff to his meat.

You see, yesterday, he was walking around in a food store and found jalapeños. As in whole and nice rather than cut up and put in a can.  :D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Asmodean on March 21, 2012, 05:32:10 AM
The Asmo is now on a healthy diet - he is adding green stuff to his meat.

You see, yesterday, he was walking around in a food store and found jalapeños. As in whole and nice rather than cut up and put in a can.  :D
I wish I could put jalapeños on everything!! So yummy! It goes so well on sandwiches, pizza, etc.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Asmodean

Yes. On everything. The Asmo can and does.  :D
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Ali

Asmo, the way you describe your diet, I have to imagine that you're half ball of clay, half T Rex.  Now with fresh jalapenos.  And OMA, fresh jalapenos are HOT!!!!  Way hotter than the canned stuff IME.

The Magic Pudding

Asmodean

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on March 21, 2012, 01:10:52 PM

Hmm... Never thought of it. If The Asmo sprinkles his food with Aspirins, that would contribute to a varied diet, yes?  :D
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Asmodean on March 21, 2012, 05:35:26 PM

Hmm... Never thought of it. If The Asmo sprinkles his food with Aspirins, that would contribute to a varied diet, yes?  :D

And it's good for your blood. :)

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

ThinkAnarchy

My wife has had great results on the paleo diet. It goes against conventional wisdom, but she has lost about 40 lbs in three months, and her back pain, that she has had most of her life, as gone away. She used to suffer from chronic back pain, now it only hurts when she cheats and eats bread, the pain returns for a day or two and goes away again. She also had daily headaches that would last a few minutes that have completely disappeared.

The theory behind it is our bodies are evolutionarily programed to process meats, fruits and vegetables, not all the processed foods. Grains and processed sugars were introduced into our diets after our digestive systems had fully evolved, therefore, we are not equipped to properly digest these types of foods. By eating how we evolved to eat, many modern (relative to the history of our species) diseases can be prevented, cured, or lessened, like high cholesterol, diabetes and autoimmune issues.

I don't follow it as closely because I like M&M's, beer, scotch and bread a little to much, but I try to limit my intake of the M&M's and bread. The scotch too, but that simply because it's so damn expensive. Wine is allowed on the diet, but it can never replace beer or scotch.

Here is a link to the site about it, if anyone is interested. The resources tab has a large amount of information.
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-resource-guide/#axzz1pmRAr0DF
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

Crow

Quote from: Sweetdeath on March 21, 2012, 05:51:29 PM
Quote from: Asmodean on March 21, 2012, 05:35:26 PM

And it's good for your blood. :)

And possibly good if you have cancer.
Retired member.

Ali

Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on March 21, 2012, 07:10:47 PM
My wife has had great results on the paleo diet. It goes against conventional wisdom, but she has lost about 40 lbs in three months, and her back pain, that she has had most of her life, as gone away. She used to suffer from chronic back pain, now it only hurts when she cheats and eats bread, the pain returns for a day or two and goes away again. She also had daily headaches that would last a few minutes that have completely disappeared.

The theory behind it is our bodies are evolutionarily programed to process meats, fruits and vegetables, not all the processed foods. Grains and processed sugars were introduced into our diets after our digestive systems had fully evolved, therefore, we are not equipped to properly digest these types of foods. By eating how we evolved to eat, many modern (relative to the history of our species) diseases can be prevented, cured, or lessened, like high cholesterol, diabetes and autoimmune issues.

I don't follow it as closely because I like M&M's, beer, scotch and bread a little to much, but I try to limit my intake of the M&M's and bread. The scotch too, but that simply because it's so damn expensive. Wine is allowed on the diet, but it can never replace beer or scotch.

Here is a link to the site about it, if anyone is interested. The resources tab has a large amount of information.
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-resource-guide/#axzz1pmRAr0DF

The auto immune thing is really interesting to me since that is my major ongoing health problem.  I'll have to look into this more.  Thanks for the recommend!

Sweetdeath

That sounds super interesting, TA!
I sadly cant give up bread or sugar because I love cupcakes and melon pan too much.  Still, it's good for me to limit my quantity anyway.

ThinkAnarchy

No problem ladies. It's not to hard to follow either if you cook at home a lot and love meat, veggies, and dairy. There is a ton of information in the link, so you can determine if the claims seem reasonable. All I can say for certain is that it has helped my wife with some of her health problems that the doctors couldn't diagnose.

"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on March 21, 2012, 10:20:00 PM
No problem ladies. It's not to hard to follow either if you cook at home a lot and love meat, veggies, and dairy. There is a ton of information in the link, so you can determine if the claims seem reasonable. All I can say for certain is that it has helped my wife with some of her health problems that the doctors couldn't diagnose.

Thanks. I'm a big follower  of homeopathic remedies.  I seriously think so many health problems are connected to your diet.
I'll definitely take a gander at the link.

Asmodean

Quote from: Sweetdeath on March 22, 2012, 02:32:56 AM
I'm a big follower  of homeopathic remedies. 
You can't be serious! You think that something diluted to the point of non-existence has medicinal properties beyond placebo?! Just going with regular contaminants in water, you are getting pretty much every homeopathic treatment imaginable by drinking a glass of it - the only thing it cures is dehydration.

I seriously think so many health problems are connected to your diet.
Yes, such as food poisoning, malnutrition, obesity, a couple of cancers... See the pattern in my examples?
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Ali

Quote from: Asmodean on March 22, 2012, 07:56:02 AM
You can't be serious! You think that something diluted to the point of non-existence has medicinal properties beyond placebo?! Just going with regular contaminants in water, you are getting pretty much every homeopathic treatment imaginable by drinking a glass of it - the only thing it cures is dehydration.

I will say in SD's defense that the only time I ever tried a homeopathic remedy, it worked like a charm and it was highly unlikely to be a placebo effect.  When T was a baby, we went through a phase where he was cutting like 4 teeth all at the same time, and he was also sick with an ear infection.  Awful awful awful.  We were doing the usual baby Tylenol and ear drops and a cold wet washcloth on his gums and whatnot, but we were still up and down with a screaming baby all night.  The next day, I was whining to a friend of mine, and she suggested that I try these homeopathic teething tablets.  I'm not a big believer in homeopathic remedies myself, but I was desperate, so I got them.  That night, we started going through the same wailing baby routine.  Granted, I had also again dosed him with Tylenol and numbing ear drops and all of that.  But I popped one of those teething tablets into this mouth, and I swear he stopped crying and went to sleep immediately.  Unlikely to be a placebo effect, since he was about 8 months old and had no clue what a teething tablet even was.  After that night he was better.

So, coincidence?  Maybe.  But if another mom was in the same "ZOMG I haven't slept in days" place that I was in, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend that she give those teething tablets a try.