News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Some of My Arts and Crafts

Started by Dark Lightning, September 21, 2018, 12:51:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jumbojak

Damn, that sucks. I wonder if something like a power scraper would work. They're designed to make surfaces flat but with custom cutters it could be the cats pyjamas.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dark Lightning

I'll be honest about it. I treat my carving as therapy, but I was asked for some pics along the way, and I got eager to provide some results, soonest. It's entirely my persona and my fault. I'll see what I can salvage, but I may just have to start completely over. Not the end of the world, just the loss of some wood. I have maybe one hour of work in it. Just a little swerve of the band saw blade was all it took.  :-[ I've tossed other carving projects in the fire place before. It's an "occupational" hazard, I guess. :lol:

Dark Lightning

After thinking about it, I realized that I can make a half-shell out of the remainder. It means I wasted a lot of the wood. That's not too painful, it's about $10 worth wasted.

jumbojak

It's a $10 lesson. Pretty cheap in the grand scheme of things.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dark Lightning

Quote from: jumbojak on February 23, 2019, 04:25:12 AM
It's a $10 lesson. Pretty cheap in the grand scheme of things.

True enough. I just don't like to waste things.

Tank

Quote from: Dark Lightning on February 21, 2019, 02:45:05 AM
Got tired of all the chisel and mallet work on the clam shell, and took it to the band saw. Got a little too aggressive, and I'm going to need another chunk of wood to start over.  :-[

:rofl:

Oh dear :(
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dark Lightning

The thing is still awaiting my pleasure. There are some concerns with the way the wood comes off with the chisels- it sometimes splits out, which usually means that the tools are dull, but they are razor sharp. I may have to use a different piece of wood. I really like the finished product, so I'll be thinking about how to execute it. In the meantime, I've carved a couple of stylized angel fish and am working on the third for a composition of fish shoaling. It's a loosely made copy of a project in a carving magazine. Meaning that the fish pretty much look what the author presented in the tutorial. The base is "coral" in the tutorial, but I'm not certain how I'm going to make the base for my "copy". The author power carved everything, but as I mentioned before, machinery just jangles my nerves. It seems that my hearing sensitivity has increased in the last few years- meaning that noises bother me more. I have to take earplugs to the movies. I can't believe how loud things are in movies any more. Is it just me? I think not. On another note, I went to the podiatrist today to discuss the foot pain I've been having. Surgery is being scheduled. The doctor tells me that It'll be 12-16 weeks before I can walk comfortably on that foot.  :o Once that is OK, I go under the knife for my right foot.  :( It's going to be tough doing anything with my foot propped up all day. I'm going to get one of those cool scooters one sees with people riding them around after having had some sort of work done on their lower extremities. I despise crutches!

hermes2015

Quote from: Dark Lightning on April 03, 2019, 04:41:22 AM
The thing is still awaiting my pleasure. There are some concerns with the way the wood comes off with the chisels- it sometimes splits out, which usually means that the tools are dull, but they are razor sharp. I may have to use a different piece of wood. I really like the finished product, so I'll be thinking about how to execute it. In the meantime, I've carved a couple of stylized angel fish and am working on the third for a composition of fish shoaling. It's a loosely made copy of a project in a carving magazine. Meaning that the fish pretty much look what the author presented in the tutorial. The base is "coral" in the tutorial, but I'm not certain how I'm going to make the base for my "copy". The author power carved everything, but as I mentioned before, machinery just jangles my nerves. It seems that my hearing sensitivity has increased in the last few years- meaning that noises bother me more. I have to take earplugs to the movies. I can't believe how loud things are in movies any more. Is it just me? I think not. On another note, I went to the podiatrist today to discuss the foot pain I've been having. Surgery is being scheduled. The doctor tells me that It'll be 12-16 weeks before I can walk comfortably on that foot.  :o Once that is OK, I go under the knife for my right foot.  :( It's going to be tough doing anything with my foot propped up all day. I'm going to get one of those cool scooters one sees with people riding them around after having had some sort of work done on their lower extremities. I despise crutches!

I know exactly how you feel about the operations, because I went through the left hip replacement 10 months ago. While you are recovering, you could try to design some new projects using 3D software to do virtual carvings. Part of the fun doing that is learning how to use the software. I use three different packages: Rhino, Cinema 4D, and the dreaded ZBrush.

Have you seen how ancient, broken Chinese and Japanese ceramic bowls and teacups were repaired with metal inlays? Perhaps you could use that technique on your broken carving.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dark Lightning

That's an interesting technique! My carving had too much cut off, not really broken. But the techniques exist for repairing them, usually wood glue or maybe crazy glue. I was really disgusted with the result from the band saw, so I threw out the cutoff pieces. In retrospect, I could have potentially glued them back on. Oh, well. I'll have to justify the expense of those software packages in my head before I purchase anything. We'll see.