Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Reasons to be cheerful!

Started by Tank, June 26, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: Tank on July 20, 2018, 12:34:13 PM
Quote from: jumbojak on July 19, 2018, 07:15:05 PM
I got a raise at work! Damn near TRIPLES my hourly rate!
WOW!!!! Excellent news.
So what are you going to do with all this extra dough?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on July 23, 2018, 08:15:33 AM
WOW!!!! Excellent news.

The Hermes benevolent fund is a worthy cause.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

WOW!!!! Excellent news.

Hopefully I'll be able to save a lot of it. I'm trying to be more responsible financially.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

jumbojak

Quote from: hermes2015 on July 23, 2018, 11:55:03 AM
WOW!!!! Excellent news.

I have to get in a position to afford that fancy chair you recommended first. Still on the lookout for a $20 million horse to send your way though.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on July 23, 2018, 01:42:34 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on July 23, 2018, 11:55:03 AM
WOW!!!! Excellent news.

I have to get in a position to afford that fancy chair you recommended first. Still on the lookout for a $20 million horse to send your way though.

A man after my own heart!
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: jumbojak on July 23, 2018, 12:56:56 PM
WOW!!!! Excellent news.

Hopefully I'll be able to save a lot of it. I'm trying to be more responsible financially.

That sounds like a grand idea. Virtually forget you had the raise and set up a standing order to a savings account.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on July 23, 2018, 02:49:37 PM
That sounds like a grand idea. Virtually forget you had the raise and set up a standing order to a savings account.

Excellent advice, Tank (says the man who has been an incorrigible profligate his entire life).
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on July 23, 2018, 03:01:33 PM
Quote from: Tank on July 23, 2018, 02:49:37 PM

Excellent advice, Tank (says the man who has been an incorrigible profligate his entire life).

:rofl:

jumbojak

I'm going to begin contributing to a 401k along with a regular savings account. I have a secured credit card on the way to try to build some credit as well. What I really want is to be able to buy a house. Just a fixer uper and as cheap as I can manage.

My goals right now are a small family, a small house, a small garage, and a big dog. In that order too.

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on July 23, 2018, 05:32:33 PM
I'm going to begin contributing to a 401k along with a regular savings account. I have a secured credit card on the way to try to build some credit as well. What I really want is to be able to buy a house. Just a fixer uper and as cheap as I can manage.

My goals right now are a small family, a small house, a small garage, and a big dog. In that order too.

Sounds like a good ambition, JJ, I wish you the best with it!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tank

Quote from: jumbojak on July 23, 2018, 05:32:33 PM

I think you should get the house first :D

jumbojak

I probably won't get any of it, but it's worth a shot at any rate.

Tank

Quote from: jumbojak on July 24, 2018, 03:13:44 AM
I probably won't get any of it, but it's worth a shot at any rate.
Crap. A house is just money and effort you have both of those. Don't negotiate yourself out of this. JFDI!

Dave

Google Earth is great! I want to visit a small arboretum in Gloucester. Took me a while to find which bus goes near it. Verbal instruction from Tourist Info was to "walk back down Barnwood Rd to Church Lane then down that to the park and through that to the arboretum [describes most of a complete circle], about a 5 minute [10-15 for me] walk."

Only the "outgoing" bus stop was some distance past Church Lane. Longish walk for my little legs and dicky ticker in hot weather. Checked on Google Earth. Near the bus stop is a path to a residential close, a few houses down that is a path into the arboretum. About a fifth of the distance, or less, of the route in the instructions,

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Bad Penny II

Why don't you get yourself a fkn mobility scooter?
Drive on the paths, drive through the shops,
drive on the road, let 'em wait,
they've more time than you.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.