News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Penn Jillette addressing Reason Rally 2012

Started by Ali, April 13, 2012, 09:14:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ali

AnimatedDirt

I like Penn a lot.  Sometimes he seems to go on a diatribe, but it's understandable given the name most Christians give Christianity...even me at times.

However the good I do is not based on any reward since the reward given (eternal life) is not based on the good moral things/actions I do, but rather simply based on my faith IN what has been done already for me.  So I would respectfully disagree...that's not to say that ALL Christians do good for the same reason.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on April 13, 2012, 09:43:26 PM
I like Penn a lot.  Sometimes he seems to go on a diatribe, but it's understandable given the name most Christians give Christianity...even me at times.

However the good I do is not based on any reward since the reward given (eternal life) is not based on the good moral things/actions I do, but rather simply based on my faith IN what has been done already for me.  So I would respectfully disagree...that's not to say that ALL Christians do good for the same reason.

I think innately better people pick and follow the better parts of the bible. The others chose that which they're more comfortable with. ::) I do think a person's theistic beliefs to be telling as far as that person's personality is concerned. I usually leave my strong atheist side for those who I wouldn't want to be around as people, and not really because of Christianity per se. I don't really care that much about the religion and what people choose to believe, I do care that they use it to justify the bad things they do. Disastrous and dangerous.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

el_presidente

Beyond the typically-discussed drawback to religiosity, I think one of the most insidious parts is its future-oriented mindset.  As in, "Everything's going to be taken care of some day, we'll all be just fine, and just keep on believing."  It's an invalidation of the present, and that to me hamstrings personal accountability and responsibility for oneself and one's fellows. 

As Penn put it on Piers Morgan (and I'm paraphrasing) "If 1 in 7 people are on food stamps, that means the other 6 can be helping them."  Wise words.     

Penn's also got a free weekly podcast on the Ace Broadcasting Network (an online podcast network run by Adam Carolla, who's also an atheist and has a great free weekly daily as well if you're into his kind of humor).  Worth checking out... search for Penn's Sunday School if you're interested.
Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer.  God won't do it, so we must do it ourselves.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Ali

joeoleson

What do the theist have that we don't?  Weekly meetings.  Thank Bob for the internet or I might have always felt alone.
just joe

Sweetdeath

Quote from: joeoleson on April 15, 2012, 07:23:26 PM
What do the theist have that we don't?  Weekly meetings.  Thank Bob for the internet or I might have always felt alone.

I'm really grateful for the internet too!! Without it, i would not have found this amazing community. And i do feel a lot better knowing others live productive lives without the need or a cult/religion.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Jimmy

Penn is ABSOLUTELY right about atheists already having morality; we aren't lacking!!! Really!

Yes, Thank goodness for the internet: It has been MY savior! :)
For if there be no Prospect beyond the Grave, the inference is certainly right, Let us eat and drink, les us enjoy what we delight in, for to morrow we shall die.   ~John Locke~

Siz

Quote from: Jimmy on April 18, 2012, 05:32:30 PM
Penn is ABSOLUTELY right about atheists already having morality; we aren't lacking!!! Really!

Yes, Thank goodness for the internet: It has been MY savior! :)
I think Penns discussion of morality here pushes me to assert that morality is completely independent of religion (or lack thereof) and is simply a bi-product of the human condition. The religious - in pious, self-serving, arrogance - choose to ascribe their morality to their god (and can therefore mould it to suit their own prejudices). Penn has argued the inverse, with equal (if more reasonable and arguably less hypocritical) tenacity. Neither, I think, have the right to claim morality as their own and both are trying to use it as weapon. Tut tut!

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!