News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

James DeWitt (pastor who became an atheist)

Started by jumbojak, July 31, 2012, 04:06:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jumbojak

I watched this last night and thought it was an interesting perspective on how a person can move away from religious fundamentalism. It's an excellent presentation and I think good advertising for The Clergy Project.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xYLKh3cdCI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Edit: Merged a few threads so modified the title to reflect the subject matter. - Tank

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Crow

Ooo thanks for posting this. I haven't watched it yet but I was interested in what would become of the clergy project.
Retired member.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

jumbojak

Quote from: Crow on July 31, 2012, 10:02:46 PM
Ooo thanks for posting this. I haven't watched it yet but I was interested in what would become of the clergy project.

If they keep producing atheistic evangelists ( avangelists? )
like Jim the clergy project has a bright future. I just wish I could give the poor guy a job. It's a shame his outreach efforts have cost him his livelihood.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Skeptik

Awesome!

I grew up in the same Pentecostal denomination that he did.  It's crazy.
This guy is a breath of fresh air.
The certainty with which I know another man's religion is folly makes me suspect my own is also - Mark Twain

Dear Religion,
Today we safely brought a man back from outer space, while you shot a child in the face for wanting to go to school.
Sincerely,
Science