News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

What evolution couldn't make ;)

Started by Tank, June 16, 2018, 06:23:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Watched the program and it was very interesting. This is the 'reveal' at the end.

"Anatomist Alice Roberts embarks on an audacious scientific stunt - to rebuild her own body from scratch, editing out errors left behind by evolution; to create the perfect body.

Watch Can Science Make Me Perfect? With Alice Roberts on the BBC: https://bbc.in/2y7ocel Can Science Make Me Perfect?

With Alice Roberts | BBC"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1LdcagaqMc
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Arturo

It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Tank

Quote from: Arturo on June 16, 2018, 06:48:44 AM
What the fuck? hahaha
It is isn't it. They changed a lot of things internal and external. But nothing in nature could improve on our brains, arms and hands.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Dave

Interesting project!

Not sure about the legality of my watching it if the video was sourced from a BBC site! 

Though foreigners may watch certain BBC TV output without a UK licence I am not allowed to do so in the UK. I am not allowed to view the BBC iPlayer TV output - radio is OK, no licence needed for that. It seems that I can watch BBC stuff put out by other, non-BBC channels, though their own legality in broadcsting it might be suspect.

I can watch anything placed in the public domain, like on Youtube, by the BBC themselves, in their own channel.

You may be leading me astray, Tank!

:grin:

I can watch repeated stuff from other channels via the Internet, "4OD" for eg.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Recusant

I guess you aren't quite old enough to qualify for a free licence, Dave?

Anyway, that appears to be the official BBC YouTube channel, so given that clip is viewable from the UK, no problem.

The ideas aren't too bad. I expect the mammaries are inside the pouch. Speaking of which, the artists who created that mock-up fudged things a bit. The pouch should be much larger--the "child" doesn't appear to have much of a body at all, which allows an unrealistically streamlined appearance for their "mother."
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dave

Quote from: Recusant on June 16, 2018, 10:17:33 AM
I guess you aren't quite old enough to qualify for a free licence, Dave?

Another 16 months to go.

Its not the cost though, I got fed up with only watching about 0.5% of the output - once you disregard all the programme content I had no interest in (95% of sports, 75% of cooking, all fashion/lifestyle, all soaps, most films, most quizzes, all (un)reality, repeats, more repeats . . .) that left, basically, science, some politics, some docus, the more intelligent/comedic quizzes. If l was lucky that was maybe 2 or 3 hours a week that I might put my book down for.

To start with I was allowed to watch the iPlayer and catch favoured progs. But, even then, I so often just did not bother. I am also not much of a video fan, seems the "printed page" is more my thing.

Sandra Craft

I don't think it counts as a perfect body without a prehensile tail, or at least fur.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Tank

Quote from: Sandra Craft on June 16, 2018, 10:37:16 AM
I don't think it counts as a perfect body without a prehensile tail, or at least fur.
Good points!

Dave

Quote from: Tank on June 16, 2018, 10:50:40 AM
Good points!

The tail might be useful, especially with opposible digits on the end!  But could the fur not be problematic in hot, humid and wet environments? Could build in the waterproofing/thermal insulating under thatch of some animals. The ability to lift the fur, a little for extra warmth or more for drying . . . Just so long as it stops growing at a given (shortish) length and we don't shed!

Pattern trimming, sculpting, bleaching and dyeing could become another $billion branch of the fashion industries  :grin:

Bluenose

I assume they re-designed the eye so that the retina is in front of all the wiring, unlike the vertebrate eye which has it all ass-backwards.
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Recusant

Quote from: Dave on June 16, 2018, 11:57:37 AM
Good points!

The tail might be useful, especially with opposible digits on the end!  But could the fur not be problematic in hot, humid and wet environments? Could build in the waterproofing/thermal insulating under thatch of some animals. The ability to lift the fur, a little for extra warmth or more for drying . . . Just so long as it stops growing at a given (shortish) length and we don't shed!

Pattern trimming, sculpting, bleaching and dyeing could become another $billion branch of the fashion industries  :grin:

I like the idea of a useful tail, but I'd go in the other direction with the excellent ideas of (1) fur (2) with consciously controlled horripilation. The fibers of the hair should be composed of a molecule like kevlar, and the conscious control of the fur should extend to laying it down against the skin in such a way as to create a full-body flexible suit of armor that would also serve as a space suit. Not so easy to trim and sculpt, but otherwise rather useful. While we're at it, eliminate the need for the skeleton and muscles to be under constant gravity to remain healthy.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dave

Quote from: Recusant on June 16, 2018, 01:56:15 PM
Quote from: Dave on June 16, 2018, 11:57:37 AM
Good points!

I like the idea of a useful tail, but I'd go in the other direction with the excellent ideas of (1) fur (2) with consciously controlled horripilation. The fibers of the hair should be composed of a molecule like kevlar, and the conscious control of the fur should extend to laying it down against the skin in such a way as to create a full-body flexible suit of armor that would also serve as a space suit. Not so easy to trim and sculpt, but otherwise rather useful. While we're at it, eliminate the need for the skeleton and muscles to be under constant gravity to remain healthy.

If you want armour why not scales?

Recusant

Quote from: Dave on June 16, 2018, 02:37:51 PMIf you want armour why not scales?

Eh, because I'm a mammal (and yes, I know so it the pangolin), and because I think fur is better for heat regulation.  ;D
— H. L. Mencken

Dave

Quote from: Recusant on June 16, 2018, 02:47:50 PM
Quote from: Dave on June 16, 2018, 02:37:51 PMIf you want armour why not scales?

Eh, because I'm a mammal (and yes, I know so it the pangolin), and because I think fur is better for heat regulation.  ;D

But, with emu legs and all why be fussy about being 100% mammalian. Er, looking at the model they had does "mammalian" fully apply?  :thoughtful:

And you could temperature regulate with scales if they had the same musculature as hairs.

PS, interesting evolutionary dilemna here: if the scales are defensive do you raise them prior to possible aggression, or in anger, to make yourself look bigger - only to have to slam them down if actual aggression looks probable?

Would they flap up and down in conflict situations?

There must be a good CGI animation thing here! May actually be, I don't game or anything.

Bad Penny II

I'm tired of carrying around this bulky human head.
Couldn't we borrow some avian bio and make it more compact?

I like Alice.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.