News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Video: Does Paranoia Have It's Purpose?

Started by Arturo, June 05, 2018, 02:59:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arturo

Quite a mind boggling video. I'm still having trouble wrapping my head around it.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Davin

I'll have to watch the video later.

My paranoia has been very helpful. Had to learn to take it lightly and to think of more than the worst possible situations. It took some work to train my brain into understanding and being good with a more skeptical understanding of the world and others. Because sometimes I would treat my suspicions as actualities and that wasn't good for anyone.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Arturo

Quote from: Davin on June 05, 2018, 03:07:19 PM
I'll have to watch the video later.

My paranoia has been very helpful. Had to learn to take it lightly and to think of more than the worst possible situations. It took some work to train my brain into understanding and being good with a more skeptical understanding of the world and others. Because sometimes I would treat my suspicions as actualities and that wasn't good for anyone.

This video shows the possible causes of our own paranoia on a psychological level that applies to all of us, and in my vein attempts to overcome my perceived issues, I came into the same roadblock but on the other side of the equation. The issue I have here is having to learn to let go and forgive. Not everything is a conspiracy. People just all act the same when their ideas are threatened.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Old Seer

Yes. It's your long range natural radar that warns of impending danger. Misreading it can also be just as dangerous by turning the radar up a bit to much. If it wasn't natural you wouldn't have it. :)
The only thing possible the world needs saving from are the ones running it.
Oh lord, save us from those wanting to save us.
I'm not a Theist.

Arturo

Quote from: Old Seer on June 05, 2018, 05:32:36 PM
Yes. It's your long range natural radar that warns of impending danger. Misreading it can also be just as dangerous by turning the radar up a bit to much. If it wasn't natural you wouldn't have it. :)

I think everyone is skipping the video and not looking at the context. The paranoia is not the same as anxiety or skepticism. Paranoia in the terms that it is being used here is on the level of conspiracy theory. And it uses the video game franchise Deus Ex's atmosphere of "what if every conspiracy theory were true?" as it's premise for the video.

And yes it's still hard for me to understand. I had to seriously look at myself in the mirror when I watched this and just had to reside myself to the fact that I can't fix anything, but that won't stop me from trying to fix things. I still have a lot of self reflection to do on this that spans back as far as I can possibly remember and see my own identities and ideals and failures to see where I've come from and how I've evolved myself which brings me to the bases of my depression. And that's the part where I start to fix things, at the beginning. And whether or not that's possible, that's not going to stop me from trying. Because god damn it I am hard headed.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Old Seer

I see. You're getting at -Paranoia caused by conspiracy theory. (I think). Here's how I handle it. It's not a conspiracy until I have the facts. That way I don't need to deal in theories. Facts dissolve theory, after of which you have conspiracy facts which shows what is and isn't. There's nothing to fear from a conspiracy until you know the facts. A lot depends upon one's propensity for science, especially physics. And, who's making the conspiracy claim, and what do witnesses (if any) say.  Don't accept anything anyone says until it's proven so.

Causing paranoia  has a purpose---to  make people vulnerable to false claims, such as, to convince people there's no conspiracy when there is. That way people tend not to look for perpetrators who blame others for the deed, but, it's their conspiracy.
IOW- It's not a conspiracy until you see the evidence. Does the evidence show you that it has to take more then 1 person to perpetrate. Can one person drive 2 cars at the same time to rob the bank---no?---you have a conspiracy.

I'm not a Theist.

Arturo

Paranoia on a society wide level. You really have to watch the video because I can't explain it in full without hitting every single point the video makes. It goes from a possible cause the paranoia makes on a psychological level and then the external causes that people see. It does touch on human-robotic augmentation since that is one of the main themes of the game but that's part of a whole different thing. The game uses this as a obvious metaphor for excluded social classes and turns them to second class citizens. And the main character is one of the augmented humans that lives on the literal other side of the tracks which is just as terrible as a refugee camp. Fake news is a thing. The illuminati. I mean really it goes pretty deep and touches on a lot of current societal issues.

The reason it got me was because it tells you how paranoia is formed psychologically. How it's inescapable for just about anyone vulnerable to it. And just as the saying goes, fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, and hate leads to suffering. So it does lead to suffering, and about 10 - 20 years ago that would most likely lead to suffering in the individual. But the world seems to be moving in a direction where everyone will suffer. And the problem with paranoia is that it is rooted in some sort of truth, which makes it so difficult for people to be talked out of it when it actually happens in real life. They give an example of Nazis as paranoid that to them crime is just crime, but due to there fixation on Jews, when a Jewish person commits a crime, it's all the more significant for them. And that unfortunately reinforces their fears and thought patterns. So it's a problem of confirmation bias. And just trying to tell someone they are wrong when they are delusional does not change their thoughts and ideas. They just makes them frustrated and leave with all the more resolve in their ideas than before. And you likely end up becoming apart of the bad guys in the conspiracy. Sent to deter them forever.

A lot of what I just said was not in the video but more from other things that I've read and been through in life. I have a headache right now so I'm just gonna end this here and go to sleep.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Old Seer

Quote from: Arturo on June 06, 2018, 04:29:26 AM
Paranoia on a society wide level. You really have to watch the video because I can't explain it in full without hitting every single point the video makes. It goes from a possible cause the paranoia makes on a psychological level and then the external causes that people see. It does touch on human-robotic augmentation since that is one of the main themes of the game but that's part of a whole different thing. The game uses this as a obvious metaphor for excluded social classes and turns them to second class citizens. And the main character is one of the augmented humans that lives on the literal other side of the tracks which is just as terrible as a refugee camp. Fake news is a thing. The illuminati. I mean really it goes pretty deep and touches on a lot of current societal issues.

The reason it got me was because it tells you how paranoia is formed psychologically. How it's inescapable for just about anyone vulnerable to it. And just as the saying goes, fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, and hate leads to suffering. So it does lead to suffering, and about 10 - 20 years ago that would most likely lead to suffering in the individual. But the world seems to be moving in a direction where everyone will suffer. And the problem with paranoia is that it is rooted in some sort of truth, which makes it so difficult for people to be talked out of it when it actually happens in real life. They give an example of Nazis as paranoid that to them crime is just crime, but due to there fixation on Jews, when a Jewish person commits a crime, it's all the more significant for them. And that unfortunately reinforces their fears and thought patterns. So it's a problem of confirmation bias. And just trying to tell someone they are wrong when they are delusional does not change their thoughts and ideas. They just makes them frustrated and leave with all the more resolve in their ideas than before. And you likely end up becoming apart of the bad guys in the conspiracy. Sent to deter them forever.

A lot of what I just said was not in the video but more from other things that I've read and been through in life. I have a headache right now so I'm just gonna end this here and go to sleep.
Well, I have to be careful here as I'm not what is considered a qualified psychologist. I am aware of your concerns. I did watch the video and see there's quite abit involved in it's making. My previous post was intended to say---place a wall between you and the video to lessen it's effects. It's obvious to me that the video was intended to exhibit psychopathic processes also in it's core.
It looks like the video is of a game that is intended to lessen people's sensitivity to violence, especially the killing and maiming.  The floks that make out these video games are highly mentally ill.
This is where one has to understand the difference between ones own animal mind and human mind/personage. Within this understanding one can see the faults and avoid them. The worlds general idea of what human is is very skewed. One is not human under all circumstances. A person is only human when under the humane mental, all the other time a person is either neutral or animalistic. The animal mind is what the world operates and depends on for its processes. Example- the video. Would you say that it's a product of the animal mentality or the human. You mention -illuminati etc. There are very evil entities operating in the world today that have gone beyond mere animal mind. They operate for the sake of Psychopathy and it's promotion. Understanding one's own animal tendencies vs human tendencies will very effectively negate the effects of these forces on one's person. That is, when one understands the different mentalities then one will see which is present in anyone at any specific time.  The video obviously exists for the promotion of hyper-animalistics.
I'm not a Theist.

Davin

I watched the video last night. It was rough for me, I highly dislike that kind of editing and the guy repeated himself too much.

One thing that he didn't seem to mention, that I think would be important to mention but he probably thought undermined his point, is that in those games (at least the latest two), not all paranoid ideas panned out. There was a bunch of paranoid people, and a lot of it was just noise. There were a few that proved out true, but in the video the guy seems to be conveying the idea that all the paranoia eventually proved out true or founded.

Otherwise, like the guy in the video, I thought the game did a good job demonstrating how regular people that don't rely on facts and lack an understanding of dishonest tactics are easy to control. Just like in real life.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Old Seer

Quote from: Davin on June 06, 2018, 03:35:23 PM
I watched the video last night. It was rough for me, I highly dislike that kind of editing and the guy repeated himself too much.

One thing that he didn't seem to mention, that I think would be important to mention but he probably thought undermined his point, is that in those games (at least the latest two), not all paranoid ideas panned out. There was a bunch of paranoid people, and a lot of it was just noise. There were a few that proved out true, but in the video the guy seems to be conveying the idea that all the paranoia eventually proved out true or founded.

Otherwise, like the guy in the video, I thought the game did a good job demonstrating how regular people that don't rely on facts and lack an understanding of dishonest tactics are easy to control. Just like in real life.
I have to say, I have a hard time seeing where the narrator is coming from. It looks to me rather mixed up. Then I thought, of course, psychopathy is a mixed up deal. IOW, he's trying to explain psychopathic process which is hypocritical in itself. Psychopathy is a mentality under which one is void of empathy, but yet one who is so will deny it. It's a pretend world of being harmful and seeing it as good. Self denial to maintain one's personal status quo. Suffering of others is entertaining, and that's what seems to be forwarded by these types of video games.
The Old Seer psycho Smurfs put it this way when asked why there's more evil in the world then good.
And evil person has something to gain by being evil, A good person less interested in gain at others expense and has a passive nature and nothing to gain by being good.. An evil person in order to accomplish a goal will be persistent toward the accomplishment, while the good has no or little persistence and has no goal for takeover of another.  Superiority originates from one's animal side, so the less animalistic one is the vulnerable to the persistence of the other. The good one wanting to be left alone submits thinking to get back to be at peace, but is unaware of the plan. The evil one succeeds in begin a parasite in the life of the passive one---so the evil rule. To counter this process one needs to understand the two mentalities and know the mental process of the other. In a society that knows the effects of the two mental states the evil cannot rule, and very likely be eliminated. Most every thing we think or do is to facilitate/serve/for the sake of  one of these two sides. Anything else is a neutral.
I'm not a Theist.

Davin

Quote from: Old Seer on June 06, 2018, 06:00:41 PM
Quote from: Davin on June 06, 2018, 03:35:23 PM

I have to say, I have a hard time seeing where the narrator is coming from. It looks to me rather mixed up. Then I thought, of course, psychopathy is a mixed up deal. IOW, he's trying to explain psychopathic process which is hypocritical in itself. Psychopathy is a mentality under which one is void of empathy, but yet one who is so will deny it. It's a pretend world of being harmful and seeing it as good. Self denial to maintain one's personal status quo. Suffering of others is entertaining, and that's what seems to be forwarded by these types of video games.
I didn't get that at all from the video or the games. This seems way out of left field.

Quote from: Old Seer
The Old Seer psycho Smurfs put it this way when asked why there's more evil in the world then good.
And evil person has something to gain by being evil, A good person less interested in gain at others expense and has a passive nature and nothing to gain by being good.. An evil person in order to accomplish a goal will be persistent toward the accomplishment, while the good has no or little persistence and has no goal for takeover of another.  Superiority originates from one's animal side, so the less animalistic one is the vulnerable to the persistence of the other. The good one wanting to be left alone submits thinking to get back to be at peace, but is unaware of the plan. The evil one succeeds in begin a parasite in the life of the passive one---so the evil rule. To counter this process one needs to understand the two mentalities and know the mental process of the other. In a society that knows the effects of the two mental states the evil cannot rule, and very likely be eliminated. Most every thing we think or do is to facilitate/serve/for the sake of  one of these two sides. Anything else is a neutral.
Wow, that lead me onto a bit of a rant, so I decided to axe it. We are animals, so everything we do is from our animal side. It's normal for people to try to say that what is human is good and what is animalistic is bad, but that leads to false conclusions and "solutions" that don't really work. But there is a point where the "good" people are causing harm by being too passive. Just look at Brexit and the current US President.

Arturo

I agree with Davin on the above. Trying to be good doesn't always lead to good outcomes. And our definition of what is good changes over time.

Again the video has made me reflect on the lots of things that I've been through. Especially when I left the other forum and further confirms my idea that leaving that place was a better idea than I ever could have hoped for. I was paranoid over there which was stemming from being jealous because certain people were getting special treatment. One moderator had set her own cat thread to never close for over 1000 years. And they all have to be routinely closed for high demands on the servers. One guy gets his own thread with his name in it every single day. Meanwhile I'm over here lonely with bed bugs in my apartment and hallucinating visuals on an almost daily basis. So I set out to destroy the cat thread by trying to fill up the thread with non-cats to put and I get banned without a warning or anyone to ask me why I did that to put things simply. So that turned out to not be a good place for recovering for me.

Anyways...I played one of the recent games but not the very latest. And they have you play one of the characters that gets discriminated against in the later games and later in the timeline. You play that character in every game I believe. So I don't think they are trying to lessen people's sensitivity to violence in the video game but they probably use it as a plot device and part of a greater message. Though if anything, I think it encourages the player to stand against violence since the aim of the game is to fight and you play the character that is discriminated against.

Quote from: Old Seer on June 06, 2018, 03:34:22 PM
Quote from: Arturo on June 06, 2018, 04:29:26 AM

Well, I have to be careful here as I'm not what is considered a qualified psychologist. I am aware of your concerns. I did watch the video and see there's quite abit involved in it's making. My previous post was intended to say---place a wall between you and the video to lessen it's effects. It's obvious to me that the video was intended to exhibit psychopathic processes also in it's core.
It looks like the video is of a game that is intended to lessen people's sensitivity to violence, especially the killing and maiming.  The floks that make out these video games are highly mentally ill.
This is where one has to understand the difference between ones own animal mind and human mind/personage. Within this understanding one can see the faults and avoid them. The worlds general idea of what human is is very skewed. One is not human under all circumstances. A person is only human when under the humane mental, all the other time a person is either neutral or animalistic. The animal mind is what the world operates and depends on for its processes. Example- the video. Would you say that it's a product of the animal mentality or the human. You mention -illuminati etc. There are very evil entities operating in the world today that have gone beyond mere animal mind. They operate for the sake of Psychopathy and it's promotion. Understanding one's own animal tendencies vs human tendencies will very effectively negate the effects of these forces on one's person. That is, when one understands the different mentalities then one will see which is present in anyone at any specific time.  The video obviously exists for the promotion of hyper-animalistics.

I don't take everything to heart but still the things quoted about psychology are correct in a way. There is always a lot of conflicting and mixed research in psychology but it still works depending on who you are. So for the sake of personal development, I have to use what works for me. But still people are animals, we come from apes. We are nowhere near perfect. Just because we have the idea of what is perfect doesn't make that real or a possible goal.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Bad Penny II

Paranoia is by definition a maladatpion
Vigilance may or may not be necessary
We could evoke paranoia to suit our purpose
But we wizards that could wouldn't.

Times have moved passed me.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Deidre32

At times, it seems like my paranoia helps but in the end, whatever is going to play out, will play out with or without my paranoia. I sometimes mistake paranoia for action and that is just deluding myself. :/
Every silver lining, has a cloud.