News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

What does “spirituality” mean to you?

Started by Rift Zone, February 03, 2018, 10:18:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rift Zone

How would you define it?    What is your relationship to it?
In the last few millennia we have made the most astonishing and unexpected discoveries about the Cosmos and our place within it, explorations that are exhilarating to consider. They remind us that humans have evolved to wonder, that understanding is a joy, that knowledge is prerequisite to survival.   -Carl Sagan

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Rift Zone

Thanks for the tip!   

Yea, I was expecting something along those lines.   Thanks for the insight too. =)
In the last few millennia we have made the most astonishing and unexpected discoveries about the Cosmos and our place within it, explorations that are exhilarating to consider. They remind us that humans have evolved to wonder, that understanding is a joy, that knowledge is prerequisite to survival.   -Carl Sagan

Davin

Quote from: Rift Zone on February 03, 2018, 10:18:36 PMWhat is your relationship to [spirituality]?

We broke up when I was about 14, and we've never spoken since. Spirituality was a lying piece of shit that pretended to have all the answers but was only making things up as it went.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Sandra Craft

If we define it in a purely secular way (secular spiritualities) I'm OK with the idea of it, but even after reading the linked article I have to admit I'm still not sure what it actually means.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Tom62

Quote from: Rift Zone on February 03, 2018, 10:18:36 PM
How would you define it?    What is your relationship to it?

I never could figure out what spirituality means. My wife told me that I lack it, but even she couldn't really explain what it is.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Dave

Deja vu here for me!

Atheists always seem itchy around any word containing "spirit" that does not also contain large amounts of alcohol. To me "spirit" is an internal thing in this context, sort of in the same bracket as emotion but not quite - "That's the spirit!" Thus "spiritual/ity" pertains to this state of mind, certainly nothing to do with the supernatural.

I am not a tree hugger but trees can evoke a certain feeling in me, it seems to defy any emotional label but it certainly invokes a feeling of peace in me. Whether this is a "spiritual" thing or not I do not know,

But, there is the "esprit de corps", the spirit/ethos/drive/morale feeling that transcends the individual. If you have been in the armed forces you have probably felt it. If you did not you were the wrong perdon in the wrong place. It is beyond brotherly/sisterly love, though that may coexist. You don't just look out for your close buddies but, ideally, for the guy or gal you don't really like - simply because they are part of your "forces family".

Hard to define or explain, you have to feel it.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

LightLim

Quote from: Dave on February 05, 2018, 06:10:35 PM
Deja vu here for me!

Atheists always seem itchy around any word containing "spirit" that does not also contain large amounts of alcohol. To me "spirit" is an internal thing in this context, sort of in the same bracket as emotion but not quite - "That's the spirit!" Thus "spiritual/ity" pertains to this state of mind, certainly nothing to do with the supernatural.

I am not a tree hugger but trees can evoke a certain feeling in me, it seems to defy any emotional label but it certainly invokes a feeling of peace in me. Whether this is a "spiritual" thing or not I do not know,

But, there is the "esprit de corps", the spirit/ethos/drive/morale feeling that transcends the individual. If you have been in the armed forces you have probably felt it. If you did not you were the wrong perdon in the wrong place. It is beyond brotherly/sisterly love, though that may coexist. You don't just look out for your close buddies but, ideally, for the guy or gal you don't really like - simply because they are part of your "forces family".

Hard to define or explain, you have to feel it.

Really fascinating Dave. I understand where you're going with this and it is hard to explain. The feeling is very familiar like how you described the feeling you have around trees. I would go further to say any natural place has this essence. I've come to see it as a connection to all that is part of the Universe, the understanding that every living creature is part of the Universe. Does that make sense?

I'd also go further to say that this state of mind you've explained with the espirit de corps example is a state of being, a part of human nature. Humans are always seeking connection whether consciously or not. Loneliness and depression are so hurtful because they go against the human need to be connected to something bigger than themselves. If people could understand that this something bigger than themselves is actually inside them, humility would naturally follow and then "that's the spirit" would be better embraced. Maybe I got a bit abstract too quickly there. Feedback?

Dave

LL, you have something there regarding that human need to feel that they are part of something bigger. It's possibly behind the "vocational calling" that medics, teachers, charity workers, priests etc might feel, the need to be part of some organisation that can affect many people. Of course, some self-serving hypocrites have been known to jump on the same wagon . . .

I will admit that I do not think that I have ever fully reconciled losing that state after leaving the RAF, dspite the fact that I grew to hate certain things about service life. But other experience has made me a bit of a lone wolf, I am currently helping an historical research group and its leader cannot seem to get her needs expressed - I am used to having at least the basic needs of a job thought out and laid out, then leave it up to me to fill in the spaces. But I digress . . .

We are too often fixed, in our minds, on the meaning or value of a word from its commonest uses - and the commonest uses of "spiritual" are so much ingrained into religion that becomes the dictiinary definition.

Gets close to it but has to include "soul" which rather spoils it!

"Discipline" means "punishment" to many people when it is allied to education or beneficial guidance as well:

Now "Dumster fire" is drifting away from being a conflagration in a rubbish receptacle to mean a foul-up in government etc.

Personally I prefer SNAFU for that latter, but perhaps we need something like TASFU as well these days?

O tempora, o mores et!

:grin:

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

[Must find a way to shrink images on this tablet!]

Tank

In the [img] tag put [img width=xxx] where xxx is a suitable width in pixels to display the image. You can also use height=xxx if that is easier. 
If you use just one option width or height the image retains its proportions.
If you use both then the commands are taken literally and that can cause some interesting effects.

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Quote from: Tank on March 10, 2018, 05:27:36 PM

In the [img] tag put [img width=xxx] where xxx is a suitable width in pixels to display the image. You can also use height=xxx if that is easier.  If you use just one option width or hight the image retains its proportions. If you use both then the commands are taken literally and that can cause some interesting effects.

Yeah, remembered that, did not realise the aspects ratio is maitained if you only change only one though - thought I might have to get the calculator out!

LightLim

Quote from: Dave on March 10, 2018, 05:09:19 PM
LL, you have something there regarding that human need to feel that they are part of something bigger. It's possibly behind the "vocational calling" that medics, teachers, charity workers, priests etc might feel, the need to be part of some organisation that can affect many people. Of course, some self-serving hypocrites have been known to jump on the same wagon . . .

I will admit that I do not think that I have ever fully reconciled losing that state after leaving the RAF, dspite the fact that I grew to hate certain things about service life. But other experience has made me a bit of a lone wolf, I am currently helping an historical research group and its leader cannot seem to get her needs expressed - I am used to having at least the basic needs of a job thought out and laid out, then leave it up to me to fill in the spaces. But I digress . . .

We are too often fixed, in our minds, on the meaning or value of a word from its commonest uses - and the commonest uses of "spiritual" are so much ingrained into religion that becomes the dictiinary definition.

Gets close to it but has to include "soul" which rather spoils it!

"Discipline" means "punishment" to many people when it is allied to education or beneficial guidance as well:

Now "Dumster fire" is drifting away from being a conflagration in a rubbish receptacle to mean a foul-up in government etc.

Personally I prefer SNAFU for that latter, but perhaps we need something like TASFU as well these days?

O tempora, o mores et!

:grin:

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Dave what if the human need to feel like a part of something bigger than themselves is realized through the understanding of humans as a part of the natural world rather than the owner/conqueror of the natural world? I mean really, human bodies are made of the same chemical elements as planets. Isn't that fascinating?

Old Seer

Well. I think Dave has it close as I see it. One has to look mostly as how the term is used and/or applied.
A High spirited horse would be--highly active, or livened.

In spirit of the matter would be, one who is caught up in the process.

I'm in good spirits today, would be linked to happiness or feeling well about things in general.

In biblical terms it's linked to person, via soul. In most cases it's linked to the combination of person and/or what comprises a person. That is, ones personal invisible contents linked to emotions. Soul is the combination of all things linked to what a "person" is, such as through the realms of love and hate.

Spirit=force, IE spirit of the group, meaning one is under and within the forces of the group one is with.

All in all, spirit is linked to "person". But spirit is mostly linked to "forces" under which an individual is under or acting within.
The only thing possible the world needs saving from are the ones running it.
Oh lord, save us from those wanting to save us.
I'm not a Theist.

xSilverPhinx

An abstract word that can mean almost anything related to the supernatural or humans (human nature/spirit, cognitive capacities such as creativity, language, intelligence etc.) if you bend it enough. It's like...the Joker in a card game.

I hope that made sense. :lol: 

I don't like it very much because of its religious connotation, and hardly ever use it. IMO, let the religious have it. :grin:

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

I suppose the "-uality" that is the dicey bit. As we seem to agree "spirit" can be a valid word for atheists to use in its abstract meanings with regards to humans, or a welcome thing if contained in a drinking vessel (even when adulterated with non-spiritual additives or umbrellas for some),  but a definite no-no when applied to things of a supernatural nature!

As so often, context is king!