News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

The Biggest Lie...

Started by Dragonia, February 03, 2018, 04:35:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dragonia

I first heard of this man, Francis Chan, from a blogger named Max Goes Godless. She's great. Francis Chan is not. I've browsed some of his many videos and most of them strike nerves from growing up and he talks about shit I had to shed/heal from/relearn.... anyway, I feel like the first of his "2 biggest lies" is one of the most insidious, evil things that Christianity teaches people, especially kids. I honestly feel like it's bordering on child abuse, although they have "really good reasons", as explained here.
This can infect every single aspect of a person's life and ensure that one's self esteem is held to a respectable, humble low. It can hold you back from having ideas, trying new things, making plans, expecting to be treated with respect,  basically from allowing a person to actually be their best self.
The "Lie"? You Are A Good Person.
Growing up, I was told a million times, in a million different ways that I'm NOT a good person, nothing about me is good, I was evil at birth, I'm nothing without God,  I can do nothing of value without God, any idea I come up with by myself is probably Satan whispering in my ear. And I feel like it will take my whole life to ferret out all the ways this thinking negatively affects me.
And it makes me hate this man. I know we are a nation of freedom.... of religion and of speech, but I hate that he can just keep making these harmful videos, dragging thousands of people with him.
Filled with a little bit of wine and rage right now, and wanting to combat this somehow.....

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Tank

Evil manipulation at it's finest.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

No one

Well, it seems the chancellor of douche baggery is delivering a heaping load of grade A, highest quality, bullshit.
Yum, yum, and the sheep will coming running to get some.

Bluenose

First class, grade A douche baggery.  That video is straight out evil.  It makes me want to punch something to think that people like this are out there spreading their malicious claptrap.  FFS, I am angry!  </rant>
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Tom62

I could not watch t for more than one minute. It makes me want to punch him in his face.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Magdalena

Quote from: Tom62 on February 03, 2018, 04:10:20 PM
I could not watch t for more than one minute. It makes me want to punch him in his face.
:this:
I want to tase him. Just to incapacitate him temporarily.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

No one

Tom62:

That sounds exactly like what someone who wasn't a good person would say.

Magdalena

Quote from: No one on February 03, 2018, 07:03:42 PM
Tom62:

That sounds exactly like what someone who wasn't a good person would say.
But he's the one going around provoking people.  :snooty:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Icarus

At about 1:40 the dumb fucker refers to "gods word".  That is a biggie for me. He is stupidly using the KJV as an unimpeachable authority.  Word of god in a pigs ass.   

The Geneva bible of the early and mid 1500s was the first one ever published in the old English language.  It was authorized  (authorized???) by the C.O.E.  Before that, both the old and newer  Latin Vulgates, the Luther, and all the rest of the translations and copies of copies of copies of copies done by scribes with quill pens.  The prior translations from the Aramaic and Greek? .....Aramaic had almost no vowels,. Translations were of questionable accuracy even if the old writings were based on anything that resembled reality.......All that and more, and I am always irritated even supremely pissed....and terribly disappointed at the naivete of the person who believes the bible to be an immutable authority. When someone says "It must be true because I read it in the bible", it is an insult to the intelligence of some of us.

This dude can take his original sin and stuff it where the sun does not shine.  Please tell him that I suggested that course of action and that I will personally help him get his bible stuffed up his ass.  Perhaps I can depend on some assistance from a few of you.

Altogether now. Let us sing...... " Jesus loves me yes I know, for the bible tells me so".

Rant finished... for now.

hermes2015

Quote from: Icarus on February 04, 2018, 01:00:04 AM
At about 1:40 the dumb fucker refers to "gods word".  That is a biggie for me. He is stupidly using the KJV as an unimpeachable authority.  Word of god in a pigs ass.   

The Geneva bible of the early and mid 1500s was the first one ever published in the old English language.  It was authorized  (authorized???) by the C.O.E.  Before that, both the old and newer  Latin Vulgates, the Luther, and all the rest of the translations and copies of copies of copies of copies done by scribes with quill pens.  The prior translations from the Aramaic and Greek? .....Aramaic had almost no vowels,. Translations were of questionable accuracy even if the old writings were based on anything that resembled reality.......All that and more, and I am always irritated even supremely pissed....and terribly disappointed at the naivete of the person who believes the bible to be an immutable authority. When someone says "It must be true because I read it in the bible", it is an insult to the intelligence of some of us.

This dude can take his original sin and stuff it where the sun does not shine.  Please tell him that I suggested that course of action and that I will personally help him get his bible stuffed up his ass.  Perhaps I can depend on some assistance from a few of you.

Altogether now. Let us sing...... " Jesus loves me yes I know, for the bible tells me so".

Thanks for your erudite summary of the history of the bible, Icarus. I share your feelings about that gentleman.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Tank on February 03, 2018, 08:15:01 AM
Evil manipulation at it's finest.

I'm not one to throw the word "evil" around lightly, but yes, that is evil.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Essie Mae

Evil it is, enhanced evil to boot because they like to get them young, (as in 2, 3, 4 ....), or vulnerable. That is so true about always feeling one is a bad person. It does stop people reaching their potential.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Dragonia

Quote from: Icarus on February 04, 2018, 01:00:04 AM

I do feel like if Christianity were to understand the true history of their bible, it would really shrink the religion. I'm pretty sure that most Christians think what I thought (which is always what we are led to believe, perhaps because nobody cares to know the damning truth about this), that our whole bible was directly translated from a select set of original manuscripts, by doctors and experts in those language fields.

Ken Ham is right about one thing: If the bible, which is Christianity's foundation,  isn't believed and trusted from the very first verse, then the whole house that is built upon that foundation will crumble.

Maybe we should be focusing on that aspect more, when debating and talking to believers. I'm actually getting a little inspired here....
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

No one

Dragonia:
I do feel like if Christianity were to understand the true history of their bible...

Understanding, that doesn't seem very Christian thing to do.

Icarus

As much as I demean the bible,,,,,(which bible, there are a lot of them.?)...The Die Keilalphabetischen text aus Uragit, (Tom62 how does that translate) The NAB = the New Amercan Bible,  The REB = the Revised English Bible, The RSV= the Revised Standard Version, TNIV= Todays New International Version, CEV= the Contemporary English Version, GNB= The Good News Bible,  and a few others . Not to mention the Book of Morman or the Quaran or the Torah.  SHeeesh ! What should we believe to be the inerrant word of our lord God?

Who knew that the KJV=King James Version was written by a committee of scholars at the behest of King James circa 1601 through 1610?  There were 54 of the presumed, by James, best English scholars who divided them selves into six groups of nine...or nine groups of six....that is unclear and subject to argument.  Each of the groups did their best to translate and assimilate the various books of the codex into an understandable language that the commoner could read.  For much of the time, before that, only the clergy were allowed to read the scriptures in whatever form they might have taken. That was not a big problem because the commoners were largely illiterate non readers. 

Before I got carried away with the above stuff, the intent was to mention that I still have a cherished and carefully kept copy of the KJV given to me on my 16th birthday by the people who were my foster caretakers.  Yes cherished.   That was 71 years ago. Those were good people who sincerely tried to guide me into the Baptist faith in which they believed to be the way of gods will.