News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

How Utilitarian are You? quiz

Started by Sandra Craft, January 15, 2018, 03:12:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

I thought this was interesting.  It's for some research that the U. of Oxford is doing, so it's a few cuts above a Cosmo quiz. 

Oxford Utilitarian Scale

I scored a mere 22, not very utilitarian at all.  I do wish the questions (there are only 9) had made it clear whether the decision was a general one or only a personal one.  Tho when I think about it, I'm not sure how much difference it would make.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

hermes2015

I scored 23. I don't know whether that's good or bad.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Sandra Craft

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Tom62

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Dave

Managed 47.

However, if Q1 had been termed, "f the only way to save another person's life during an emergency is to suffer the agony, trauma and disability of sacrificing one's own leg, then one is morally required to make this sacrifice." one might think thrice!

There were several qualified "Somewhat agrees"s in there for me. I think my service training and experience, plus climbing and caving, helped form my variety of utilitarianism. Good partners and parents practice at least limited utilitarianism and, hopefully, those parents pass it on to their kids.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on January 15, 2018, 05:11:41 AM
Managed 47.

However, if Q1 had been termed, "f the only way to save another person's life during an emergency is to suffer the agony, trauma and disability of sacrificing one's own leg, then one is morally required to make this sacrifice." one might think thrice!

There were several qualified "Somewhat agrees"s in there for me. I think my service training and experience, plus climbing and caving, helped form my variety of utilitarianism. Good partners and parents practice at least limited utilitarianism and, hopefully, those parents pass it on to their kids.

I need a new hip, Dave. As a 47, what are you going to do about it?
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on January 15, 2018, 05:29:53 AM
Managed 47.

Er, send you a fiver towards the cost of the op?

:grin:

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on January 15, 2018, 05:36:18 AM
Managed 47.

Thanks, but I really want that good hip of yours.
:zombie:
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on January 15, 2018, 05:39:37 AM
Managed 47.

Er, do you? I suppose my burditis might be better than whatever you suffer, but keep any strong painkillers you have if you want a good night's sleep!

Quote(OK, I know, bursitic is a mucular problem, not a skeletal ine...)

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on January 15, 2018, 05:45:07 AM
Managed 47.

Er, do you? I suppose my burditis might be better than whatever you suffer, but keep any strong painkillers you have if you want a good night's sleep!

A strange thing has happened, in that I have not experienced any pain for the last 4 days. Just hope it lasts, because I really do not want to have a replacement. I don't take any painkillers, just one anti-inflammatory every morning. I have always, and still do, slept very well.
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on January 15, 2018, 06:00:43 AM
Quote from: Dave on January 15, 2018, 05:45:07 AM
Managed 47.

A strange thing has happened, in that I have not experienced any pain for the last 4 days. Just hope it lasts, because I really do not want to have a replacement. I don't take any painkillers, just one anti-inflammatory every morning. I have always, and still do, slept very well.

Most winter nights are painfull for me. Whichever side I lie on that hip aches after about 20 minutes, so I turn over - then again and end up spinning like a very slow top! Can't sleep on my back because of sleep apnea, nor on my front due to other breathing restrictions. Four hours solid sleep is a good night for me.

This is why you will often find me posting in the small hours.

Two paracetamol before going to bed does not help much. I have to take 75mg aspirin every day and am not allowed any other NSAIDs. Might ask about taking the aspirin at night instead of first thing in the morning.

Davin

Some of the questions are kind of way too nuanced, to answer that way. I'm pretty sure I'm more utilitarian than that. For instance: Torture is known to provide unreliable information, so torturing a person is a waste and has no utility.

The other problem is that putting things into those kinds of judgments where a person or people decide to sacrifice another person for the good of many has always ended bad because of people suck. So in the long run we would lose utility.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

No one

Torture is not a means of extracting information, it is a means of exacting revenge. And yes, people to suck. They suck the  high hard one, and they are quite proficient at it.

Icarus

39....  Those are tricky questions that do not make allowance for circumstances that alter cases.  The questions are quite probing and might lead us to examining  more extended thought.