Main Menu

A bad memory can be creative

Started by Dave, March 14, 2017, 08:41:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Penny II

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 12, 2017, 01:21:08 AM
Quote from: Bad Penny II on October 10, 2017, 10:12:06 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 09, 2017, 11:43:24 PM
I was just thinking about this, and it seems to me that sometimes even though you don't consciously recall something, it could be that there is subconscious processing of accumulated experience going on in the mental background which births an idea, creative solution or insight when you least expect it.

I'm not sure about this.
I'll have to sleep on it.

Well? :grin: You're a creative guy, what do you think?

I think "sleeping on it" is a bit like what you were talking about.

Anyway I think there has been a divergence in our interest in neuroscience.
You seem to be taking a conventional approach, I'm interested in the zombie brain.
The human brain can suffer quite a lot of damage and the human can still function,
whereas your zombie will always cease functioning when their brain is damaged, why?
I've found the establishment neuroscience community to be hostile to my research.
They have sabotaged my projects and I've had to change identity several times.
I regret to say I can't fully trust you since you've become a part of the system.
I won't accuse you of being part of the zombie conspiracy, you'd probably just
laugh it off and say something like "ha ha, oh you've got me there, ha ha ha."
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Bad Penny II on October 12, 2017, 09:17:06 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 12, 2017, 01:21:08 AM
Quote from: Bad Penny II on October 10, 2017, 10:12:06 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 09, 2017, 11:43:24 PM
I was just thinking about this, and it seems to me that sometimes even though you don't consciously recall something, it could be that there is subconscious processing of accumulated experience going on in the mental background which births an idea, creative solution or insight when you least expect it.

I'm not sure about this.
I'll have to sleep on it.

Well? :grin: You're a creative guy, what do you think?

I think "sleeping on it" is a bit like what you were talking about.

Anyway I think there has been a divergence in our interest in neuroscience.
You seem to be taking a conventional approach, I'm interested in the zombie brain.
The human brain can suffer quite a lot of damage and the human can still function,
whereas your zombie will always cease functioning when their brain is damaged, why?
I've found the establishment neuroscience community to be hostile to my research.
They have sabotaged my projects and I've had to change identity several times.
I regret to say I can't fully trust you since you've become a part of the system.
I won't accuse you of being part of the zombie conspiracy, you'd probably just
laugh it off and say something like "ha ha, oh you've got me there, ha ha ha."

:lol:

:secrets1: Actually, since Trump became president of the US my interest in the zombie brain grew...how can a thing still walk, talk and breathe without the higher order functioning? Just don't tell the establishment!
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Bad Penny II

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 12, 2017, 01:16:53 PM
:secrets1: Actually, since Trump became president of the US my interest in the zombie brain grew...how can a thing still walk, talk and breathe without the higher order functioning? Just don't tell the establishment!

Wasp infiltration.

Why are they doing it?
What are their plans?
I could tell but I wont.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Bad Penny II on October 12, 2017, 02:35:11 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 12, 2017, 01:16:53 PM

Wasp infiltration.

Why are they doing it?
What are their plans?
I could tell but I wont.

Ecurb Noselrub

Sometimes I forget a name I've known forever.  My theory is that some gateway or trigger neuron has died and I can't access the information.  Eventually my brain reforms a circuit working around the dead neuron and then I have access to it again. Could not come up with Leonardo DiCaprio's name yesterday. I let it sit there for awhile and finally my brain engineered a work-around.  Brain plasticity.  Of course, eventually too many neurons die and it's lights out.

Icarus

Bruce, Dave, Others, if it is any consolation I have the same annoying....nay maddening...problem part of the time.  Yesterday, I could not recall the name of the popular commercial hustler, giant guy, who was a basketball player. Of course it was Shaquille O'neal. That one needed nearly an hour of brain strain to recall.  On the other hand I can remember maybe 50 or more names of my high school classmates.  Ossified brain cells are a bitch. Some of those cells are flawed, others do not seem so bad.

The worst of it is that I once had a fairly well developed vocabulary. Words, their meanings,and connotations were an item of interest even when I was a juvenile.  When I write, like on this forum, I begin to construct a sentence and before it is complete I can not think of the word that I intended to use a fraction of a second before..  That is really a maddening situation. Later I will recall the intended word but in the short term I have to resort to a synonym or alternative word of some sort. The realization that I am an unusually old human with legitimately contracted diminished capacity is little comfort.

xSilverPhinx

I have the same problem, and I don't know what exactly what's going on there...is an important neuron in the ensemble of a specific memory dead? Is it still there but has the connection weakened or is being interfered with? Are there other processes competing for attention which diminish the capacity to recall a specific memory at a given time?   

:scratch:

Quote from: Icarus on October 13, 2017, 01:58:56 AM
The worst of it is that I once had a fairly well developed vocabulary. Words, their meanings,and connotations were an item of interest even when I was a juvenile.  When I write, like on this forum, I begin to construct a sentence and before it is complete I can not think of the word that I intended to use a fraction of a second before..  That is really a maddening situation. Later I will recall the intended word but in the short term I have to resort to a synonym or alternative word of some sort. The realization that I am an unusually old human with legitimately contracted diminished capacity is little comfort.

Have you been tested for anomic aphasia, Icarus? Does this happen frequently?

Ecurb Noselrub

Bruce, Dave, Others, if it is any consolation I have the same annoying....nay maddening...problem part of the time.  Yesterday, I could not recall the name of the popular commercial hustler, giant guy, who was a basketball player. Of course it was Shaquille O'neal. That one needed nearly an hour of brain strain to recall.  On the other hand I can remember maybe 50 or more names of my high school classmates.  Ossified brain cells are a bitch. Some of those cells are flawed, others do not seem so bad.

But aren't you in your 90's?  Hell, you've beaten the odds.  The fact that you can still type coherent sentences is amazing.

Tank

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on October 13, 2017, 03:26:49 AM

But aren't you in your 90's?  Hell, you've beaten the odds.  The fact that you can still type coherent sentences is amazing.
If I recall correctly Icarus was 11 at Pearl Harbour which would make 1930 the year of his birth. So he's 87 or there abouts.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Tank on October 13, 2017, 08:47:11 AM

If I recall correctly Icarus was 11 at Pearl Harbour which would make 1930 the year of his birth. So he's 87 or there abouts.

Still pretty good.  That's about 8 years more than the average male lifespan in the US, and he's still going strong.

Dave

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on October 13, 2017, 05:40:34 PM
Quote from: Tank on October 13, 2017, 08:47:11 AM

Still pretty good.  That's about 8 years more than the average male lifespan in the US, and he's still going strong.

Looks like I have 8 and a bit more to survive to hit the UK average. Already beating the odds on my prognosis after my heart attack and actually feel better this year than last.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Icarus

Yep, 87 and probably the luckiest guy in seven counties because I am as active as some people half my age.   

About the memory thing. It is about words not things.  My wife is 71, she has no problem with words but she loses things a lot. I am like a bird dog because I can find her lost keys, or whatever she has misplaced.  I think that I can find her lost items because I have seen them and have a faculty for recalling where it was that I saw the item.   Those location recollections are good for long periods of time even months.

It is not surprising that I have no trouble remembering, and instantly voicing, profane words when I stub my toe or hit my thumb with a hammer. 

Dave is anomic aphasia similar to the disease called CRS?  ;D

Actually, No I do not have difficulty expressing thoughts or ideas that is typical of the aphasia condition.

Dave

QuoteDave is anomic aphasia similar to the disease called CRS? 

Dunno, Icarus, can't find anythjng pertinent searching on CRS, but from the grin I am guessing there is a joke in there.

Just flagged up anomic asphasia 'cos it looked interesting and I was looking for problems remembering names, think I put "dysnomia" in. I often suffer "dysbrainia" myself.

There is such thing as as dysnomia but when I first looked I only saw stuff about a godess or something, missed the other link.

Think I also suffer tabletkeyboardtypoia.

Icarus

Dave, the term CRS is an  American expression that describes a condition that pretends to be a disease... It means: Can't Remember Shit.

Dave

Quote from: Icarus on October 14, 2017, 05:41:41 AM
Dave, the term CRS is an  American expression that describes a condition that pretends to be a disease... It means: Can't Remember Shit.

Ah, OK, that is definitely a real problem!