News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Favorite Quotes

Started by Biggus Dickus, March 08, 2016, 10:38:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arturo

Quote from: Bad Penny II on June 08, 2018, 03:51:42 PM
Quote from: Tank on June 08, 2018, 07:57:28 AM
Quote from: Bad Penny II on June 06, 2018, 10:33:36 AM
Quote from: Tank on June 05, 2018, 08:10:33 AM

I think that could be challenged.
I have a positive view of Mr Fox and no doubt he's suffered but others have suffered greater assaults to their dignity.
That's probably true. But if you take his name off the bottom what is written is no less true.

Dignity, it's a state that humans may attain and disease will take away, no arguments entered into.
You've got no brain any more, how are you going to enter into?

It's American be positive bullshit.

Would you put it to a death camp survivor?
The woman who has been pack raped, left naked and bleeding?

I just came from looking at Edward Snowden stuff so this might be in my head. But I would tell them to NOT let their dignity be taken away. I have a rare but famous illness that many people associate with murderers, psychopaths, multiple personalities, and in my case that it makes me stupid and random to the point where I am too difficult to deal with and that they just walk away from me when they see me. I've been molested by a girl younger enough than me so that I cannot press charges. I've been beaten up as a child by other kids so much to the point where I just let it happen because it was such a common occurrence. And at the end of the day, I still speak my mind. I still want people to know my struggle and that it should not happen again. And so to that women who is a death camp survivor, I would tell them the same thing. And in the one shooting not long ago, a survivor went on to start an organization for gun reform so that nobody will be through that again. And to her I applaud that because of those things.

Sure it might be an American thing. But if someone steps on your toes, do you just let it continue to happen? No. You say, "Hey you just stepped on my toes again. Can you stop?"
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Tom62

I have a positive view of Mr Fox and no doubt he's suffered but others have suffered greater assaults to their dignity.

Like Donald Trump?
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Dave

Quote from: Tom62 on June 09, 2018, 08:38:19 AM

Like Donald Trump?

Not sure if it is valid to have "Donald Trump" and "dignity" in the same sentence without "has no" between them.

:grin:

Seriously, I respect the dignity of anyone who has a constant and condidered opinion and behaves in a dignified manner (which need not mean weakly), though I may vehemently disagree with them. I feel Trump is a travesty, a facade, a farce of a national leader who, inevitably, does some good as he sees things (few can get everything wrong, not even Boris Johnson) but I do not think he derserves overall respect or being treated with dignity.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Arturo on June 09, 2018, 01:32:02 AM
Quote from: Bad Penny II on June 08, 2018, 03:51:42 PM
Quote from: Tank on June 08, 2018, 07:57:28 AM

That's probably true. But if you take his name off the bottom what is written is no less true.

Dignity, it's a state that humans may attain and disease will take away, no arguments entered into.
You've got no brain any more, how are you going to enter into?

It's American be positive bullshit.

Would you put it to a death camp survivor?
The woman who has been pack raped, left naked and bleeding?

I just came from looking at Edward Snowden stuff so this might be in my head. But I would tell them to NOT let their dignity be taken away. I have a rare but famous illness that many people associate with murderers, psychopaths, multiple personalities, and in my case that it makes me stupid and random to the point where I am too difficult to deal with and that they just walk away from me when they see me. I've been molested by a girl younger enough than me so that I cannot press charges. I've been beaten up as a child by other kids so much to the point where I just let it happen because it was such a common occurrence. And at the end of the day, I still speak my mind. I still want people to know my struggle and that it should not happen again. And so to that women who is a death camp survivor, I would tell them the same thing. And in the one shooting not long ago, a survivor went on to start an organization for gun reform so that nobody will be through that again. And to her I applaud that because of those things.

Sure it might be an American thing. But if someone steps on your toes, do you just let it continue to happen? No. You say, "Hey you just stepped on my toes again. Can you stop?"

A quick Googling for the words:
QuoteOne's dignity may be assaulted, vandalized and cruelly mocked, but cannot be taken away unless it is surrendered.

Dignity can be taken, Alzheimer's will take it unless you do what Terry did.

If someone has suffered brutal treatment and lost their dignity, a nice person would help and encourage them to rebuild.
They wouldn't go "oh well you shoulda been stronger, not surrendered your dignity."

If you're on the bus and someone tosses a racist slur your way, sure, fine, apply the Foxian wisdom.
If you're suffering a degenerative brain disease but can still manage quotable quip, pretend you have power over what's coming for you, Happy Delusions.

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Bad Penny II

Quote"Sometimes they threaten you with something - something you can't stand up to, can't even think about. And then you say, "Don't do it to me, do it to somebody else, do it to So-and-so." And perhaps you might pretend, afterwards, that it was only a trick and that you just said it to make them stop and didn't mean it. But that isn't true. At the time when it happens you do mean it. You think there's no other way of saving yourself, and you're quite ready to save yourself that way. You WANT it to happen to the other person. You don't give a damn what they suffer. All you care about is yourself."

Dave

Quote from: Bad Penny II on June 09, 2018, 03:10:09 PM
Quote"Sometimes they threaten you with something - something you can't stand up to, can't even think about. And then you say, "Don't do it to me, do it to somebody else, do it to So-and-so." And perhaps you might pretend, afterwards, that it was only a trick and that you just said it to make them stop and didn't mean it. But that isn't true. At the time when it happens you do mean it. You think there's no other way of saving yourself, and you're quite ready to save yourself that way. You WANT it to happen to the other person. You don't give a damn what they suffer. All you care about is yourself."

Source of that please, Bad Penny.

Bad Penny II

Dave

OldGit

"May your next turd be a hedgehog!"

Traditional

Dave

Quote from: OldGit on June 09, 2018, 09:08:28 PM
"May your next turd be a hedgehog!"

Traditional

Going forwards or backing out?

Arturo

"The only way to get power is to submit yourself to a greater one."

Me
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Icarus

Arithmetic is not an opinion.

Bluenose

The most significant thing I have ever heard anybody say:

"Houston, Tranquillity Base here, the Eagle has landed."
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Tom62

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."
― Robert J. Hanlon
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Tank

Quote from: Tom62 on June 14, 2018, 05:19:20 AM
"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."
― Robert J. Hanlon

I have so often used this example myself!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.