Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Ask HAF / Re: Photography technical advice, questions, tips and techniques.
« Last post by Dave on Today at 10:56:15 AM »
Focusing off or pre-focusing:

There is probably a technical term for it but . . .

Say you want a picture of your dog bounding towards you in the park. Pressing the shutter release starts the AF but it takes a period of time to get there - by which time said pooch has arrived and is looking for the next game.

So, pick the spot where you want the dog to be and focus, half pressing the release, on the grass at that spot, or a bush or whatever at the same distance and KEEP THE BUTTON HALF PRESSED.

Then compose your shot, tell the other to release the hound, fully press when the dig is at the spot and bingo. I would also go for continuous release mode and press just before - one of them is bound to have floppy ears a-flying if poochy has such appendages.
Laid Back Lounge / Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread
« Last post by Dave on Today at 10:36:15 AM »
Grump.

Wanted to go to town yesterday but told parcel would be delivered - it was, at 8pm!

Planned again for today, weather forecast overcast. Started to drizzle as soon as I opened the front door.

Rain forecast tomorrow.

Sunny Friday - but think I will book a scooter 'cos ankle hurting and have been a bit short of breath occasionaly. And I want to try some photography in various bits of town.

Later, @ about 1140: email to say another package arriving today - bit late notice, but makes the day more useful!
Laid Back Lounge / Re: Things that make you chuckle
« Last post by Dave on Today at 10:04:01 AM »
^

But how to get it on its tracks again without it hitting the bridge?
« Last post by Dave on Today at 09:59:56 AM »
I mis-remembered the model, it's a B, with "Group" "Landscape" and "Portrait" lenses and f-stops from f11 - f22. Even instructions for processing Kodak Panatomic-X film and a table for Wratten filter factors in the box.

I want the World's Fair and the Beau models, but both very, very rare. And very, very expensive of course.

Also have an Ensign Ful-Vue - love the art deco shape!

« Last post by Tank on Today at 09:56:31 AM »
Image quality

If you want the best optical image quality as a rule of thumb one should not shoot at the largest nor smallest aperture of a lens. The ends of a lenses aperture range are almost always a technical compromise the get the largest and smallest usable apertures. The optical 'sweet spot' is usually a couple of stops down or up from the ends of the lens's range. But that is just for optical quality and takes no account of the necessity for depth-of-field or the avoidance of camera shake.

A small aperture, f16 or smaller, can be subject to reduced optical quality from diffraction.
Hermes said:
That's odd, because according to Nikon, the minimum aperture is f/32.

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/camera-lenses/af-zoom-nikkor-70-300mm-f%252f4-5.6g.html#tab-ProductDetail-ProductTabs-TechSpecs

If the camera shows f/40, then there must be some incompatibility problem.

Hmm, I found  a spec for a .Nikkor 70-300mm  that gave f45 as the min, but no  inage stab.

But there is a VR model the quotes f32-40 for the zoom range:

https://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/zoom/telephotozoom/af-s_vr_zoom70-300mmf_45-56g_if/index.htm

I have noticed there are various Nikkor models at the same focal length

The naming of the lenses is confusing, so perhaps it is this one. I think the problem is that at such a small aperture the camera had to use a very slow shuttter speed to get correct exposure, leading to a blurry photo. Even VR is not able to compensate at very slow speeds, especially at long focal lengths.

My thinking as well, hence my remark about picking the right combination of speed and app for the subject being part of the technical art of photography. Can be a difficult choice at times.

I have a model K Box Brownie, wonder if you can still get 120 film . . . Gotta be easier!

Ooh I love those decadent brownies!

I think we should look at the EXIF data to see what the shutter speed was.
Religion / Re: Things you find on Facebook
« Last post by Tank on Today at 09:37:11 AM »
Just so long as he does not petition for a fatwa!

Why? I would wear a fatwa with pride.
« Last post by Dave on Today at 09:36:47 AM »
Hermes said:

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/camera-lenses/af-zoom-nikkor-70-300mm-f%252f4-5.6g.html#tab-ProductDetail-ProductTabs-TechSpecs

Hmm, I found  a spec for a .Nikkor 70-300mm  that gave f45 as the min, but no  inage stab.

https://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/zoom/telephotozoom/af-s_vr_zoom70-300mmf_45-56g_if/index.htm

The naming of the lenses is confusing, so perhaps it is this one. I think the problem is that at such a small aperture the camera had to use a very slow shuttter speed to get correct exposure, leading to a blurry photo. Even VR is not able to compensate at very slow speeds, especially at long focal lengths.

My thinking as well, hence my remark about picking the right combination of speed and app for the subject being part of the technical art of photography. Can be a difficult choice at times.

I have a model B Box Brownie (with box and manual), wonder if you can still get 120 film . . . Gotta be easier!
Hermes said:

Laid Back Lounge / Re: Things that make you chuckle
« Last post by Tank on Today at 08:32:35 AM »
I got a good laugh out of this one but it's keeping me up at night. How in the hell did they manage it?!

I mean, they didn't roll it over because rolling a bulldozer would leave something crushed. The undercarriage is in good shape, the cab looks like new, and the tracks are on one piece. ???

AS Dave mentioned I think the clue is in the bridge top right of the picture.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10