Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Laid Back Lounge / Re: Reasons to be cheerful!
« Last post by Buddy on Today at 04:56:57 PM »
Ha. I wish, but I will be 30 miles closer to home and that’s good enough for me.
« Last post by jumbojak on Today at 04:30:38 PM »
Cool. Are you going to Disney land?
Gotta love cows, they are so curious.
Not when you are csught in the corner of a farm yard were a hundred large critters are crowding in waiting to be milked!

En nasse, in an enclosed soace, there are frigtening  they live half way between curiosity and flight. Had to persuade a drunk (on cider apples) bullock not to wander out onto the nain road, it wanted to play "catch-me". Big beast with big feet, big horns and a sense of fun . . . Yikes!

When I went fishing as a kid we had to cross a field with cows in it. We learned to sneak until the cows spotted us and the leg it if they did!

Ours show up when they think food might be on offer. Somehow they got the idea that I'm a bipedal grain dispenser so sneaking isn't an option. I speak loudly and carry an enormous stick.
Read what I wrote again, only slower. I wrote "in human terms" god, any god, is a human construct. If there is a creator of the universe, it is far beyond the comprehension of the tiny human brain! To call it god, says that you understand it, which is impossible! Therefore, there is no god!

I truly don't follow your logic. God is a term we use for the idea of an intelligent creator. To call it "god" does not mean that I understand it. It is simply a word to describe an idea.  So, in other words, I do not think that Hawking was justified in saying that "an intelligent creator" (god) does not exist.  He cannot have a valid certainty of that proposition.
Wonderful pictures, JJ.  I like the moon shot just fine, and I love the sunset and the cows.

I've been doing a fair bit of experimenting with the moon lately. The humidity has finally dropped enough for clear shots every night.
« Last post by Buddy on Today at 04:09:55 PM »
I got the promotion!  :frolic: :frolic: :frolic:
It would be quite useful if any theist or deist could provide any evidence whatsoever to support their speculations. But that's theists for you, ask for evidence to disprove gods all the time, can't provide a scrap of their own to support their own assertions.

I am not able to provide you objective evidence that you would accept.  My objection to Hawking is his absolute statements. He can't provide objective evidence of intelligent life, yet he asserts confidently that it exists. To me, that seems inconsistent.

We all have our biases, Bruce, it's the way we function. I don't have an emotional investment in a simulacrum I call 'God' so of course my perception is not influenced in that aspect.

But I would like to understand you better, Bruce. Can you tell me why you think a deist god would do that?

Also, we as a species are unique, if the universe isn't infinite. But do you believe life is unique to Earth? If so, why?

Even a deist god would provide some level of meaning that the absence of gods cannot. There would at least be a purpose.  I suppose that would be a subliminal bias of mine.

I think it's probable that there is other life forms out there, even intelligent.  But in the absence of evidence, I cannot make an absolute statement.  Nor can I make an absolute statement regarding the existence of God. I can only point to my subjective experience, which may be biased, as the basis for faith.
Ask HAF / Re: Photography technical advice, questions, tips and techniques.
« Last post by Tank on Today at 02:25:19 PM »
Too late Hermes, I already blew my weekly tool budget on Photomatix. :) And, I might've created a few eyeball searing abominations already but the results really impressed me. Not perfect by any means but much more true to the eye than what came out of the camera.

I've noticed that the reds are brought out just a bit too much in the skies. Still need to do some tweaking I guess.
We need some before and after examples.

It might be Sunday before I get somewhere that has sufficient Internet access again, but you'll have them.

:thumbsup:
Too late Hermes, I already blew my weekly tool budget on Photomatix. :) And, I might've created a few eyeball searing abominations already but the results really impressed me. Not perfect by any means but much more true to the eye than what came out of the camera.

I've noticed that the reds are brought out just a bit too much in the skies. Still need to do some tweaking I guess.

Of course, it is perfectly legitimate to produce over the top effects, provided it is what one intends to do. One man's abomination is another's art.
You did not make a mistake purchasing Photomatix; it is the industry standard. There are lots of colour and other tweaking options you can implement once you know the software well.

I'm sure there are lots of options. It's amazing just how much information is stored in an NEF file. My jaw literally dropped when I saw the difference it made in the cow photo.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10