News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Wisconsin Protests

Started by Sophus, February 18, 2011, 12:07:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophus

This is remarkable. On both ends.

Can Republicans really justify these cuts? I mean, our approach to the Great Depression was the very opposite of what they're trying to do, wasn't it?
 :pop:
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Recusant

Story from Reuters.

QuoteRepublican Gov. Scott Walker proposed sharply curbing the bargaining rights of public unions in order to make immediate budget savings. The move sparked outrage among union workers who protested at the Wisconsin state house this week.

Speaking about the issue Thursday in a television interview, President Barack Obama said that while he understands state governments' need to make cuts, the Wisconsin proposal seems like "an assault on unions."
Budget cuts are one thing, union busting is another.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Sophus

Quote from: "Recusant"Story from Reuters.

QuoteRepublican Gov. Scott Walker proposed sharply curbing the bargaining rights of public unions in order to make immediate budget savings. The move sparked outrage among union workers who protested at the Wisconsin state house this week.

Speaking about the issue Thursday in a television interview, President Barack Obama said that while he understands state governments' need to make cuts, the Wisconsin proposal seems like "an assault on unions."
And from what I hear the state isn't even broke.

Noticing a number of "Don't Tread On Me" flags and sings out there. Reckon those are disenchanted Tea Partiers or just others using the same phrase?
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

ForTheLoveOfAll

Quote from: "Sophus"
Quote from: "Recusant"Story from Reuters.

And from what I hear the state isn't even broke.

Noticing a number of "Don't Tread On Me" flags and sings out there. Reckon those are disenchanted Tea Partiers or just others using the same phrase?
I'm convinced that anything involving the Tea Party is bound to be pointless.
A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism.
-Carl Sagan

I loved when Bush came out and said, "We are losing the war against drugs." You know what that implies? There's a war being fought, and the people on drugs are winning it.
- Bill Hicks

Tanker

Quote from: "Sophus"Noticing a number of "Don't Tread On Me" flags and sings out there. Reckon those are disenchanted Tea Partiers or just others using the same phrase?

"Don't tread on me" was co-opted by the Tea Party not created by them.

http://www.usflag.org/gadsden.html
"I'd rather die the go to heaven" - William Murderface Murderface  Murderface-

I've been in fox holes, I'm still an atheist -Me-

God is a cake, and we all know what the cake is.

(my spelling, grammer, and punctuation suck, I know, but regardless of how much I read they haven't improved much since grade school. It's actually a bit of a family joke.

Sophus

Quote from: "Tanker"
Quote from: "Sophus"Noticing a number of "Don't Tread On Me" flags and sings out there. Reckon those are disenchanted Tea Partiers or just others using the same phrase?

"Don't tread on me" was co-opted by the Tea Party not created by them.

http://www.usflag.org/gadsden.html
I know. That's why I'm wondering.  :P

BadPoison

The program I watched last night pointed out that most outside campaign spending for liberals comes from unions.

Outside spending

The three unions that are strangely exempt from the legislation are also the only three unions that supported the governor's campaign.

Source

Seems pretty sleezy to me.

Edited For links

terranus

Having no money sucks.

Having no teachers sucks worse.

Gotta pick between the lesser of two evils here.
Trovas Veron!
--terranus | http://terranus.org--

Sophus

Quote from: "terranus"Having no money sucks.

Having no teachers sucks worse.

Gotta pick between the lesser of two evils here.

All Walker has to do to make the first evil go away is reverse his decision to give tax cuts that are nearly the exact size of the whole in their budget.

Will

Collective bargaining is absolutely necessary for a free society. I only wish we had a Constitutional amendment promising the right.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Sophus

Quote from: "Will"Collective bargaining is absolutely necessary for a free society. I only wish we had a Constitutional amendment promising the right.
Do you think the Dems are doing the right thing by leaving the state? It seems to be drawing criticism even from the left, but I think it's called for while the governor is being so unreasonable.

Will

Quote from: "Sophus"Do you think the Dems are doing the right thing by leaving the state? It seems to be drawing criticism even from the left, but I think it's called for while the governor is being so unreasonable.
I think it's unfortunate that this is the only option available to them, but I respect them for swallowing their pride and doing what's necessary., They're stalling the vote, which is helping a lot of people in the short term and is buying the labor movement time to gather the strength necessary to truly fight this.

And it's normal for people on the left to criticize other people on the left. It's how you know we're not suffering from groupthink.  :cool:
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.