News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Why God? Derail about ignorance

Started by iSok, September 06, 2011, 08:33:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevil

Quote from: iSok on September 06, 2011, 10:23:01 PM
You refuse to read anything about religion, but complain at the same time that it's ridiculous.
I complain that there is no evidence, I complain that the book of "truths", needs to be interpreted.

Do I need to read the book to know these to be true? Does the book offer evidence? Do many Theist's think their book is not open slather for interpretation?

iSok

Quote from: Stevil on September 06, 2011, 10:42:37 PM
Quote from: iSok on September 06, 2011, 10:18:47 PM
Quote from: Stevil on September 06, 2011, 10:13:45 PM
Quote from: iSok on September 06, 2011, 09:39:42 PM
The quest for God was never fueled by the question of How?, but always by Why?, nothing has changed so far.
Why would an all perfect all knowing god create existence?
It makes no sense. This god knows the outcome already, has nothing to learn, nothing to gain. This god is perfect already, no requirements, no deficiencies.
Creation of existence would be superfluous to requirements. There would be no point.
It would be like us reading a single sentence over and over, every minute of our waking lives until we die. We might get something out of it the first couple of reads, but on the 1 millionth read, we are learning nothing, no entertainment, no surprises, just nothing but unrelenting boredom. It would be much worse for an all knowing, all perfect god.
This god has no need for existence.

For the sheer pleasure of your own existence, you exist.
If the quest is Why, then this answer you have offered is not very enlightening.
God takes pleasure in my existence? Was god lacking that pleasure before I existed? I feel so special!

Let's quit the sarcasm.

God wouldn't be God without creating life.

You exist for your own pleasure in this life, the highest form of pleasure is to come near the Source of your existence, every religion
teaches that and it seems that it's true, since religious people seem to live longer and are more happy according to statistics.

Religion teaches that man will return to God, so this life is a preparation for that meeting.

I shall try to explain it in the terms of the Big Bang:

- God is the Center, in the beginning of creation man has been sent away as vicegerent of God with the rest of creation (rapid expansion of the universe).

- The climax of this expansion will be the End as mentioned by religions, man will no longer be conscious of the Center.

- Every thing shall return to God, we will all be in the same place, some of us cannot or have not accepted that Center (Big Crunch).

Then all veils will be lifted and we will all know what the purpose of all of this was and what we all have lost or gained.

A question for you:

What is the strongest argument for the theory of evolution?

Qur'an [49:13] - "O Mankind, We created you all from a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes so that you may know one another. Verily the noblest of you in the sight of God is the most God-fearing of you. Surely God is All-Knowing, All-Aware."

Stevil

Quote from: iSok on September 06, 2011, 11:01:46 PM
Let's quit the sarcasm.

God wouldn't be God without creating life.

You exist for your own pleasure in this life, the highest form of pleasure is to come near the Source of your existence, every religion
teaches that and it seems that it's true, since religious people seem to live longer and are more happy according to statistics.

Religion teaches that man will return to God, so this life is a preparation for that meeting.

I shall try to explain it in the terms of the Big Bang:

- God is the Center, in the beginning of creation man has been sent away as vicegerent of God with the rest of creation (rapid expansion of the universe).

- The climax of this expansion will be the End as mentioned by religions, man will no longer be conscious of the Center.

- Every thing shall return to God, we will all be in the same place, some of us cannot or have not accepted that Center (Big Crunch).

Then all veils will be lifted and we will all know what the purpose of all of this was and what we all have lost or gained.

A question for you:

You still haven't addressed the why.
Was god, god before the creation of life?

With regards to the theory of evolution, I haven't studied or investigated this theory. I know little about it. My world view of being an Atheist is not dependent on the strengths of this theory.

Xjeepguy

QuoteWith regards to the theory of evolution, I haven't studied or investigated this theory. I know little about it. My world view of being an Atheist is not dependent on the strengths of this theory.

I agree with this completely. Religious people assume that evolution is the sole reason for atheist beliefs, but it is not.
If I were re-born 1000 times, it would be as an atheist 1000 times. -Heisenberg

Gawen

Isok. I am ashamed to inform you that everything you said in post #16 is so full of holes - baseless assertions -  that I am simply not going to waste my time in countering them.

You may wish to have the sarcasm to stop. I wish you would stay on topic.
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Asmodean on September 06, 2011, 09:52:00 PM
Quote from: iSok on September 06, 2011, 09:13:11 PM
whose author's reject evolution.
Are you refering to Darwin..?

Darwin rejected the theory of evolution?  I never heard, or read, anything about that.  The only thing I ever heard of Darwin rejecting was organized religion, because it gave him no comfort after his favorite child died young.  To the best of my knowledge, he continued to stand by his evolutionary theory, and to believe in god.  

Quote from: iSok on September 06, 2011, 11:01:46 PM
A question for you:

For me, it would be that anyone who looks can actually see evolution happening -- for instance, in the generations of insects with very brief lifespans or in animals in isolated environments, like islands.  By the way, here is the theory of evolution -- all the theory of evolution:

ev·o·lu·tion (v-lshn, v-)
n.
1. A continuing process of change from one state or condition to another or from one form to another.
2. The theory that groups of organisms change with passage of time, mainly as a result of natural selection, so that descendants differ morphologically and physiologically from their ancestors.

You can use different words to describe it, but that's basically it.  Personally, I have no use for anyone's god or gods but my opinion about that has nothing to do with evolution.  If anyone understands what in the definition above denies the existence of a deity in any way I'd love to hear it because that's always baffled me. 
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Asmodean

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on September 07, 2011, 05:35:13 AM
Darwin rejected the theory of evolution?  I never heard, or read, anything about that.
It's a really beat-up religious "argument", that. Allegations, as far as I know, but pointless in any case.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Asmodean on September 07, 2011, 06:53:35 AM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on September 07, 2011, 05:35:13 AM
Darwin rejected the theory of evolution?  I never heard, or read, anything about that.
It's a really beat-up religious "argument", that. Allegations, as far as I know, but pointless in any case.

I've heard of this, and that he "accepted"  God on his deathbed.  Uh,huh.. Whatever theists.  ::)
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Asmodean

Quote from: Sweetdeath on September 07, 2011, 07:05:20 AM
Whatever  ::)
Precisely. Somehow, some people just don't understand that denying being right, even should a person do that, does not negate the overall rightness in any way.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Asmodean on September 07, 2011, 07:56:56 AM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on September 07, 2011, 07:05:20 AM
Whatever  ::)
Precisely. Somehow, some people just don't understand that denying being right, even should a person do that, does not negate the overall rightness in any way.

Exactly.  Whether he did or did not doesn't negate any of his work or theories.  I wouldnt hold it against him.   Death sucks!   It's scary...  And no one WANTS to die.  So yeah..  Hopefully i'll build my android body and live forever xD buwahaha~
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Xjeepguy

I've heard that b.s. story about Darwin rejecting evolution on his deathbed, and there is no evidence whatsoever to prove it happened other than some theist trying to disprove his theory.
If I were re-born 1000 times, it would be as an atheist 1000 times. -Heisenberg

Tank

Quote from: Xjeepguy on September 07, 2011, 11:52:47 AM
I've heard that b.s. story about Darwin rejecting evolution on his deathbed, and there is no evidence whatsoever to prove it happened other than some theist trying to disprove his theory.
Darwin never changed his mind, it's all BS. And even if he had his theory has never been disproved and all scientifically vaild research carried out since 1859 has validated the core concept of natural selection that drives evolution.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Tank on September 07, 2011, 12:37:01 PM
Quote from: Xjeepguy on September 07, 2011, 11:52:47 AM
Darwin never changed his mind, it's all BS. And even if he had his theory has never been disproved and all scientifically vaild research carried out since 1859 has validated the core concept of natural selection that drives evolution.

I've been thinking about this "Darwin rejected evolution" story and have a theory.  I know a lot of theists, esp. fundamentalists, are certain that you can't both accept evolution and believe in a god, so when then learn that Darwin did believe in the existence of a god, they automatically assume he rejected evolution.  The fact is many theists accept the theory of evolution, even Dr. Laura accepts it for crying out loud and she's a huge god fan.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

The Magic Pudding

I like this one
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peppered_moth_evolution

But there's so many excellent evolutionary parables it's hard to choose.

Are we arguing the validity of the dangerous idea or reminiscing over our favourite bits?