News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

How Christians lied to me about life without Christianity

Started by Sandra Craft, November 20, 2017, 03:26:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

Found this on FB, but it doesn't belong on Tank's nutty theists on FB post, and since we've a new and newly deconverted member,  I'm putting it here:

How Christians lied to me about life without Christianity

I've seen the question"how can atheists bear the cold, sterile world of non-belief?" many times and been asked it a few times.  I've never known how to explain to someone with such a different point of view from mine that the world actually got so much bigger and brighter after I gave up trying to force supernatural beliefs on myself.  Or that it suddenly and finally made sense, which was worth more than any number of talking snakes and angels dancing on pinheads to me.

This article doesn't give us a way of explaining that (I'm not sure there is one) but I think it does do an excellent job of explaining the "fundagelical " mindset that could actually find the real world cold and sterile.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Hooch761

BooksCatsEtc: Very good article! Witty, humorous and most of all it resonates with my previous theistic mindset.

The thing that I don't miss the most is the unbridled guilt. Guilt for Adams sin, guilt for my own sins. It would drive me into great depressions. Religion for me was truly a drug. Extreme highs and lows. Since I left the constraints of theism  my moods have stabilized, my worldview has expanded and appreciation for this world and it's inhabitants have grown exponentially.

I live in the here and now, not in some magical fantasy land where extreme religious paranoia always lurks. Things just make more sense now. I don't miss it, and the only regret that I have is the ridiculous amount of time and energy that was wasted pursuing imaginary beings that have imaginary powers that live in imaginary places.

Tank

Hooch

Your experiences of post theistic calm is very common. I was never a believer but I have read many accounts from people who were and they often express similar feelings. 
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Tank on November 21, 2017, 06:40:07 AM
Hooch

Your experiences of post theistic calm is very common. I was never a believer but I have read many accounts from people who were and they often express similar feelings.

Reminds me of a cartoon I can't find -- a bunch of people are walking along huddling under umbrellas, with the rain falling on them from inside the umbrella.  One guy throws his umbrella away and voila -- the day is full of sunshine.  I believe the caption is "Life without Religion".
Sandy

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Hooch761 on November 21, 2017, 04:05:05 AM
The thing that I don't miss the most is the unbridled guilt. Guilt for Adams sin, guilt for my own sins.

I never felt any guilt, altho I was aware that I was supposed to.  It was one of the many things that confused me about what I was told and that's what made me craziest -- nothing fit the way I was told it did.  I was also told everything would make sense to me eventually, but things got more confusing with time, not less.  When I learned the term "gaslighting" it fit my experience with religion perfectly.
Sandy

Skeptik

Quote from: Hooch761 on November 21, 2017, 04:05:05 AM
The thing that I don't miss the most is the unbridled guilt. Guilt for Adams sin, guilt for my own sins. It would drive me into great depressions. Religion for me was truly a drug. Extreme highs and lows. Since I left the constraints of theism  my moods have stabilized, my worldview has expanded and appreciation for this world and it's inhabitants have grown exponentially.

I live in the here and now, not in some magical fantasy land where extreme religious paranoia always lurks. Things just make more sense now. I don't miss it, and the only regret that I have is the ridiculous amount of time and energy that was wasted pursuing imaginary beings that have imaginary powers that live in imaginary places.

Man, I grew up extremely religious and could not say this better.
I think of the wasted years and it damn near makes me want to cry.

The one consolation I have is that my daughter will not be subjected to the kind of life I had growing up.  She will have her battles to fight, but she will never question her own worth because of a ever watching deity.  She will never lie in bed at night and fear a rapture that she will miss because of a standard set so high to be unattainable.  She will never be bound by rules written by men who's intent is to subjugate women and keep them beneath men.

That is the main thing that gives me peace.  I taught her that there were no monsters under her bed.  I didn't create an invisible one in the sky that she can never escape from.
The certainty with which I know another man's religion is folly makes me suspect my own is also - Mark Twain

Dear Religion,
Today we safely brought a man back from outer space, while you shot a child in the face for wanting to go to school.
Sincerely,
Science

Dragonia

Skeptic, YES. Everything you said. (You too, Hooch)
I feel like raising fearless, thinking children is my greatest goal in life right now. It's almost like redeeming my own fucked up childhood.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

OldGit

We want the truth.  Whether or not one finds that truth unpleasant is a side-issue.

Dave

Quote from: OldGit on December 04, 2017, 10:01:17 AM
We want the truth.  Whether or not one finds that truth unpleasant is a side-issue.

Correct.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tom62

Quote from: OldGit on December 04, 2017, 10:01:17 AM

Not me, I prefer fake news. That is why I watch CNN ;).
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein