Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jumbojak

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 20, 2019, 11:08:11 AM
Quote from: hermes2015 on January 20, 2019, 10:57:09 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 20, 2019, 10:32:57 AM
I'm going to spend a few days in my hometown in June and a Venezuelan guy from 'the lab next door' wants to tag along. He's harmless but really clingy since he doesn't speak Portuguese all that well, and asked me to tour the city with him. He also wants to share the apartment I'm going to stay in (no way) and bought tickets for the same flights.

Two things:
1) His clinginess is starting to get to me. I get that he's insecure because of the language issues but still.  :Gaah:
2) Brasilia is not exactly a tourist city. There are some cool-looking buildings and stuff, a few museums and a dwindling nightlife but that's about it. It wasn't made for pedestrians either (it's a planned city) so to get anywhere from somewhere walking is a pain. Also, June is draught season: ugly brown grass and lots of dust in the air.

Ooh! Sounds romantic.
:love:

:lol: No no no no no...

I don't think that's the idea. He's just really insecure and I'm too nice.

Are you sure about that? Insecure guys can be very, very skilled at hiding feelings for someone else. They can use "practicslity" as an excuse to be near that person and then get it in their head that they are getting what they really want by doing so. When their plans fail or blow up in their faces the change in their demeanor can be astonishing.

Please, be very careful.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

I've told him (very nicely) that I won't be at his disposal because I have my own plans that don't include him, like visiting family. I can give him suggestions on what to see but that's about it. I'm not going there to go sight-seeing or anything, and he's acting like that's the main reason. We arrive on a Tuesday afternoon and that's basically the only free time there will be. Wednesday to Saturday I will be at the conference all day, and Saturday night we return home. There isn't going to be time for sight-seeing.   

I feel bad though, I was the one who was trying to get people hyped to go and he was the first to say he will. 
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 20, 2019, 02:07:45 PM
I've told him (very nicely) that I won't be at his disposal because I have my own plans that don't include him, like visiting family. I can give him suggestions on what to see but that's about it. I'm not going there to go sight-seeing or anything, and he's acting like that's the main reason. We arrive on a Tuesday afternoon and that's basically the only free time there will be. Wednesday to Saturday I will be at the conference all day, and Saturday night we return home. There isn't going to be time for sight-seeing.   

I feel bad though, I was the one who was trying to get people hyped to go and he was the first to say he will.

Shallow person that I am, I want to know what he looks like.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on January 20, 2019, 02:53:26 PM

Eh...average. Neither attractive nor unattractive.

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 20, 2019, 03:28:50 PM

I wouldn't bother, then.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on January 20, 2019, 04:10:34 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 20, 2019, 03:28:50 PM

I wouldn't bother, then.

:nu-uh:

No one

Rap.
Bad pizza.
Worse pizza.
Terrible pizza.
Bread in the shape of a bagel.
Rap.

Icarus

Trust the dude only if you are clearly physically superior to him.  He may very well be  be  a nice guy or.............. Silver you have one damned problem after another.  News flash!  Many of the rest of us do too.
Please be careful and cool as well.   The guy may be harmless and simply need some mothering. :unsure:

Buddy

So there is a manager from a branch of the bank I work for in Florida who wants me fired.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Dark Lightning

Just to be clear, that manager isn't at your bank? I'm not clear on where you are geographically, but I don't really need to know.

Buddy

Quote from: Dark Lightning on January 24, 2019, 04:38:30 PM
Just to be clear, that manager isn't at your bank? I'm not clear on where you are geographically, but I don't really need to know.

No I am in Indiana. Just to clarify we work for the same bank, just not the same branch or in the same state.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Tank

Quote from: Buddy on January 24, 2019, 04:36:03 PM
So there is a manager from a branch of the bank I work for in Florida who wants me fired.

WTF! Why?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Buddy

Quote from: Tank on January 24, 2019, 06:21:59 PM

WTF! Why?

So there was an issue of fraud on a particular customer's account. Unfortunately I was the one dealing with the situation at the time so my name is on the reports. Long story short, the account was compromised and the customer had to close their accounts and open new ones. Our branch was the one who caught it and we alerted the customer who then went to their local branch, in Florida, to do this. The branch manager called us this morning and ripped me a new asshole saying it was my fault that the account was compromised and that she will be getting with my manager "to take disciplinary action up to termination".

Unfortunately, my boss isn't here today so we can't deal with this until tomorrow

Dark Lightning

Finding the problem and taking action, then getting "in trouble" for it is a "shoot the messenger" kind of mentality on the part of that other person. I hope your manager is a decent human being, and gets that. Is it possible that the person reaming you may have been complicit?

Tank

Quote from: Buddy on January 24, 2019, 08:43:32 PM
Quote from: Tank on January 24, 2019, 06:21:59 PM

WTF! Why?

So there was an issue of fraud on a particular customer's account. Unfortunately I was the one dealing with the situation at the time so my name is on the reports. Long story short, the account was compromised and the customer had to close their accounts and open new ones. Our branch was the one who caught it and we alerted the customer who then went to their local branch, in Florida, to do this. The branch manager called us this morning and ripped me a new asshole saying it was my fault that the account was compromised and that she will be getting with my manager "to take disciplinary action up to termination".

Unfortunately, my boss isn't here today so we can't deal with this until tomorrow

You'll be Ok. Your boss knows you better that the Florida boss.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.