News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Funerals and Family

Started by rickrocks, May 21, 2012, 06:45:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism

Quote from: Sweetdeath on May 23, 2012, 09:24:06 PM
Quote from: Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism on May 23, 2012, 09:19:23 PM
I don't ever want to die, but if I have to I want to be frozen Walt Disney style.

And have your brain put in an android body? :)
I would rather just become a cyborg while I am still alive, but if I have to I could wait and have my body put in a T 1000 I guess. Pre skynet of course.
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out". Richard Dawkins

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism on May 23, 2012, 09:28:45 PM
I don't ever want to die, but if I have to I want to be frozen Walt Disney style.

I would rather just become a cyborg while I am still alive, but if I have to I could wait and have my body put in a T 1000 I guess. Pre skynet of course.
I could Skype on my  arm.
Cant wait to do that  :D
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Quote from: Sweetdeath on May 23, 2012, 09:34:23 PM

You could skype while using an app that teaches you how to skype.  Which I would need to use as I have never used skype  ???
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out". Richard Dawkins

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism on May 23, 2012, 09:35:59 PM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on May 23, 2012, 09:34:23 PM

You could skype while using an app that teaches you how to skype.  Which I would need to use as I have never used skype  ???

Skype is pretty simple to use/learn. It only becomes frustrating when your webcam  doesnt connect properly.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Huh well I wonder if there is an app for that  ;D

pytheas

but if?

when you certainly will. That's what the living do, my friend
"Not what we have But what we enjoy, constitutes our abundance."
"Freedom is the greatest fruit of self-sufficiency"
"Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little."
by EPICURUS 4th century BCE

Firebird

Ted Williams was put into some cryogenic facility after his death too. The whole thing sounded completely screwed up though. Apparently his head was removed from his body for some reason as well.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

pytheas

I'm sorry for the myth-busting but the reason cryogenics and walt disney style freezes are absolute BS is:

1) the body is ~70% water. water expands upon freezing turning into ice
2) the water in the body is INSIDE cells interwoven (hydrating) with proteins, cytosceletal fibers and subcellular machinery
3) when water freezes it disrupts and breaks, shattering these structures, so that when they return to living temperatures they turn into pulp  
3) Propylene glycol, glycerol, DMSO and other anti-freeze agents prevent the water from freezing blocking the expansion- the basis for cryopreservation

Even if you perfuse via a vein a person alive thus killing him with antifreeze, the agents will not penetrate enough into the large organ structures  and enough into the cells of the cores of the large organ structures(the brain as well)

At present only cells, tissues, and some small organs out of the body can be reversibly cryopreserved, that means can have a 70% functional return to life. Why 70%? because the Propylene glycol, glycerol, DMSO and other anti-freeze agents become actually toxic and oxidising at room temperatures. So we rinse them out repeatedly and extensively and always there is a loss, cells that never recovered.

the technology in the future is unlikely to functionally recompose shredded and degraded subcellular material that was "primitively" frozen today. and without bringing the corpse back to soluble temperature there is no way to disingage (rinse) the cryopreservative before it harms the tissues which is what happens at soluble temperatures.
"Not what we have But what we enjoy, constitutes our abundance."
"Freedom is the greatest fruit of self-sufficiency"
"Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little."
by EPICURUS 4th century BCE

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: pytheas on May 25, 2012, 07:44:13 AM
I'm sorry for the myth-busting but the reason cryogenics and walt disney style freezes are absolute BS is:

2) the water in the body is INSIDE cells interwoven (hydrating) with proteins, cytosceletal fibers and subcellular machinery
3) when water freezes it disrupts and breaks, shattering these structures, so that when they return to living temperatures they turn into pulp 
3) Propylene glycol, glycerol, DMSO and other anti-freeze agents prevent the water from freezing blocking the expansion- the basis for cryopreservation

Even if you perfuse via a vein a person alive thus killing him with antifreeze, the agents will not penetrate enough into the large organ structures  and enough into the cells of the cores of the large organ structures(the brain as well)

At present only cells, tissues, and some small organs out of the body can be reversibly cryopreserved, that means can have a 70% functional return to life. Why 70%? because the Propylene glycol, glycerol, DMSO and other anti-freeze agents become actually toxic and oxidising at room temperatures. So we rinse them out repeatedly and extensively and always there is a loss, cells that never recovered.

the technology in the future is unlikely to functionally recompose shredded and degraded subcellular material that was "primitively" frozen today. and without bringing the corpse back to soluble temperature there is no way to disingage (rinse) the cryopreservative before it harms the tissues which is what happens at soluble temperatures.

This is all just too complicated, there must be a simpler way...

:-\
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Guardian85

Once the doctors have removed all the useful spare parts I like the visual element of the viking funeral pyre.

You can skip the virgin thralls, though.....

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Quote from: pytheas on May 25, 2012, 07:44:13 AM

Even if you perfuse via a vein a person alive thus killing him with antifreeze, the agents will not penetrate enough into the large organ structures  and enough into the cells of the cores of the large organ structures(the brain as well)

Well I guess I shall have to wait until they are able to place me into frozen carbonite

Asmodean

Cryogenics still interesting - may allow the future scientists to rummage around the mostly intact innards of their ancient ancestors  :D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Quote from: Asmodean on May 26, 2012, 02:51:02 PM
Cryogenics still interesting - may allow the future scientists to rummage around the mostly intact innards of their ancient ancestors  :D
I have a fascination with robotics and nanotech. 

Hector Valdez

Ok, hate to dissagree but I definitely want a religious ceremony. I want the wake to be held in my family church, and I want to be buried next to my brother in the church ceremony. My reasons for this are simple:

Funerals are for the living, and not the deceased, have have probably already earned a bit of peace and quiet. Not only this, but if there is any time in which symbolism and pomp and ritual would be appropriate, even amongst atheists, I would say 100% that death is it. Now, my family ain't atheist, so they definitely would ignore any please for a secular funeral. But that's okay, because it would make them feel better.

Asmodean

Quote from: RenegeReversi on May 26, 2012, 10:31:28 PM
they definitely would ignore any please for a secular funeral.
This kind of stuff is exactly why my proxy is not someone in my family.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.