News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Joining the revolt

Started by harte.beest, May 13, 2012, 02:48:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ali

Quote from: Budhorse4 on May 16, 2012, 12:12:56 AM
Personally, I have no goals of deconversion. I couldn't care less if someone believed or not, just as long as I or anybody close to me is not hurt.
Agreed. I don't have any big plans for deconverting the world.

ThinkAnarchy

Quote from: Ali on May 16, 2012, 12:41:02 AM
Personally, I have no goals of deconversion. I couldn't care less if someone believed or not, just as long as I or anybody close to me is not hurt.

Agreed. All I really want is for religion to stop playing a role in laws and politics.
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

Recusant

Quote from: harte.beest on May 15, 2012, 11:56:35 PMWhat is the goal of atheism? After we deconvert the world, what is the goal afterwards?

[Quote from John F. Kennedy's Inaugural Address of 1961 omitted.]

Where did you get the idea that atheism should have a goal? Atheism is simply a lack of belief in a god or gods. I don't see any room for a goal in that, and as far as I'm concerned, any attempt to shoehorn a goal in only displays a deep misunderstanding of what atheism is.

Some atheists may wish to "deconvert the world" but that is their personal agenda, and is a result of their evangelical tendencies rather than a result of their atheism.

If you think either of the above is incorrect, then I invite you to present an argument which supports your position.

I'm going to move this thread, because it has long since ceased to be an intro thread.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: harte.beest on May 15, 2012, 11:56:35 PM
What is the goal of atheism? After we deconvert the world, what is the goal afterwards?

The post-world deconversion goal is we all settle down and eat some pizza, do the can-can dance and say click this (needs earphones)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

harte.beest

What do you mean by "there is no goal in atheism"?

Recusant:  I'm not an evengelical, nor have I ever been one

DeterminedJuliet

My current Atheist agenda:

- Clean out fridge
- Finish reading a chapter in one of my textbooks
- Complete a list of topic ideas for the rest of the week and send them to my editor
- Put on jammies
- Watch Lost on Netflix
- Try to refrain from binging on chocolate
- Fail to refrain from binging on chocolate
- Maybe paint my toesies

That pretty much sums up my nefarious atheist schemes. At least before bedtime.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

xSilverPhinx

You didn't even answer the question people have asked. What's your story? What are your beliefs? If you're an ex-theist, what caused you to deconvert? If you're an ex-atheist, what caused you to convert? Tell us a bit about yourself. Where were you born? What's your pet's name? I don't even know if you're atheist, theist, or any other variation...
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Recusant

Quote from: harte.beest on May 16, 2012, 01:54:18 AMWhat do you mean there is no goal in atheism?

It's exceedingly simple, and your earlier statement which seemed to assert that as an atheist you have extensive experience (or something) seems to be contradicted by this question and the previous question. I already said it once, and you've ignored it: Those who ascribe an agenda or goal to atheism do not understand atheism. Even so basic a reference as Merriam-Webster's would make that clear to anyone who cared to pay attention:

Quoteatheism noun \ˈā-thē-ˌi-zəm\ (Middle French athéisme, from athée atheist, from Greek atheos godless, from a- + theos god)

2 a : a disbelief in the existence of deity

. b : the doctrine that there is no deity

Do you see any goal even hinted at in this definition? If so, what is it, and by what means do you discern a goal?

I've never accused you of being an evangelical, so why the protestation?  
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

ThinkAnarchy

Quote from: harte.beest on May 16, 2012, 01:54:18 AM

Never mind Recusant already responded while I was typing.

Edit: I will word what he has said differently. As atheists we have all simply come to the same conclusion about one specific topic; Is there a god? That is where the sameness ends.
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

Buddy

I know that this is no longer an intro thread, but I'm curoius now. Do you have any pets?
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on May 16, 2012, 12:14:06 AM
Quote from: harte.beest on May 15, 2012, 11:56:35 PM
My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man."

Don't worry. As a non-U.S citizen, I pretty much never ask this. ;)

But the next line was
"My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man."

They are nice words I think, I'm pretty sure freedom of religion would have been part of the freedom envisioned.

harte.beest

I was going to ask what am I, since I have the goal of deconverting the world...... but since you guys don't know a thing about me I'll tell you a little personal info........... let me know if it's not enough....... (cracks knuckles)

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on May 16, 2012, 01:57:03 AM

- Clean out fridge
- Complete a list of topic ideas for the rest of the week and send them to my editor
- Put on jammies
- Watch Lost on Netflix
- Maybe paint my toesies

Couldn't a theist have this same agenda, what separates you from them?

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 16, 2012, 01:58:15 AM
You didn't even answer the question people have asked. What's your story? What are your beliefs? If you're an ex-theist, what caused you to deconvert? If you're an ex-atheist, what caused you to convert? Tell us a bit about yourself. Where were you born? What's your pet's name? I don't even know if you're atheist, theist, or any other variation...

I don't know what I believe.... I always tell people, I am, whatever they are, (or what I presume they are, at first glance) when people, who know me, ask me what I believe, I say "I worship Satan"

I was never converted to, or from, atheism, I guess, you could say i'm an atheist, the same way a newborn infant is an atheist.

Quote from: Recusant on May 16, 2012, 02:15:25 AM
Quote from: harte.beest on May 16, 2012, 01:54:18 AMWhat do you mean there is no goal in atheism?

Recusant:  I'm not an evengelical, nor have I ever been one

It's exceedingly simple, and your earlier statement which seemed to assert that as an atheist you have extensive experience (or something) seems to be contradicted by this question and the previous question. I already said it once, and you've ignored it: Those who ascribe an agenda or goal to atheism do not understand atheism. Even so basic a reference as Merriam-Webster's would make that clear to anyone who cared to pay attention:

Quoteatheism noun \ˈā-thē-ˌi-zəm\ (Middle French athéisme, from athée atheist, from Greek atheos godless, from a- + theos god)

2 a : a disbelief in the existence of deity

. b : the doctrine that there is no deity

Do you see any goal even hinted at in this definition? If so, what is it, and by what means do you discern a goal?

I've never accused you of being an evangelical, so why the protestation? 

Without letting this devolve into a conversation about the definition of atheism.

Why do you feel there shouldn't (or as you said couldn't) be a goal to atheism, why not deconvert people. Do you not feel any responsibilty to spread "the doctrine that there is no deity".

Could I convert your kids  to evangelical(-ism?) without you saying two words to them, about it?

Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on May 16, 2012, 02:18:12 AM
Quote from: harte.beest on May 16, 2012, 01:54:18 AM

Recusant:  I'm not an evengelical, nor have I ever been one

Never mind Recusant already responded while I was typing.

Edit: I will word what he has said differently. As atheists we have all simply come to the same conclusion about one specific topic; Is there a god? That is where the sameness ends.

Yes but theists could also say they all believe in a god, and that is where the sameness ends. Yet millions of them not only think it's their goal to lead a good life, but to spread their beliefs (hence jehovah witness' knocking on your door)

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: harte.beest on May 16, 2012, 04:18:24 AM

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on May 16, 2012, 01:57:03 AM

- Clean out fridge
- Put on jammies
- Watch Lost on Netflix
- Maybe paint my toesies

Couldn't a theist have this same agenda, what separates you from them?

Nothing in this instance. That's kinda my point. I can be an atheist without any "atheist goals". It doesn't change who I am.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Budhorse4 on May 15, 2012, 12:49:19 PM
Sure I don't believe, but I don't think about is on a daily basis.

Reminds me of something Bill Mahr said: the best thing about atheism is that it takes up so little of your time.

Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on May 16, 2012, 12:44:12 AM
Quote from: Ali on May 16, 2012, 12:41:02 AM

Agreed. All I really want is for religion to stop playing a role in laws and politics.

That's my birthday wish every year.  Besides, trying to deconvert people is just as presumptious and annoying as trying to convert them, and I have enough bad habits as it is.

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: harte.beest on May 16, 2012, 04:18:24 AM
I was going to ask what am I, since I have the goal of deconverting the world...... but since you guys don't know a thing about me I'll tell you a little personal info........... let me know if it's not enough....... (cracks knuckles)

Some people describe themselves as anti-theist/theism.
Some would be against aspects of religion but don't adopt the designation.

How are you going to de-convert people?