News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Joining the revolt

Started by harte.beest, May 13, 2012, 02:48:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

harte.beest

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 15, 2012, 12:38:10 AM
Quote from: harte.beest on May 15, 2012, 12:10:31 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 14, 2012, 11:34:08 PM
I find that somewhat difficult to believe (Sagan's made a skeptic out of me)

I honestly don't know how to measure my atheism ???

What's your story?

I don't what you mean by "story"? I could tell you where I was born, or what my first pet's name was, but I don't know what that has to do with atheism???

Amicale

How long have you been an atheist? Did you grow up as one, or did you become one? What's your background in terms of your ideas? Is your family atheist also, or no?

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

xSilverPhinx

Ok, you want the more direct approach, I see ;D

What are the parts of your story that do have to do with your atheism?

You could answer the other two (where you were born, or what your first pet's name was too, since you mentioned them)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sandra Craft

Quote from: harte.beest on May 15, 2012, 12:48:27 AM
I don't what you mean by "story"? I could tell you where I was born, or what my first pet's name was, but I don't know what that has to do with atheism???

We're not all atheism all the time -- we like to get to know one another as just folks too.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on May 15, 2012, 04:44:34 AM

We're not all atheism all the time

Heavens, no... based on the average derail rate. ;D 

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Buddy

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 15, 2012, 04:54:34 AM

Yes, we do have a bit of a short attention span here. Expect many a derail.  :D
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Amicale

Quote from: Budhorse4 on May 15, 2012, 05:06:58 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 15, 2012, 04:54:34 AM

Yes, we do have a bit of a short attention span here. Expect many a derail.  :D

For you Buddy, I think I've seen you post VERY little about atheism. It's mostly family and horses and other pets all the way.  ;D And that's awesome!

For myself, I'm going to back off the atheism topics for a while and just cool off talking about it so much here. Not that I'll never mention it, but I've found myself getting too hot under the collar about it lately, and the last thing I want to become is a fundie in the opposite direction. Much more fun stuff needed for me. Talking about pets, friends, hobbies, having fun, etc. And getting off the damned computer to spend more time on all the above.  :)

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

kitty

We're not all atheism all the time -- we like to get to know one another as just folks too.

like it.
but it sure would be nice to know more about you harte.beest. this is a 'happy' forum, so surely we cant just talk about things that wig us off.
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? (Douglas Adams)

OldGit

Quote from: AmicaleFor you Buddy, I think I've seen you post VERY little about atheism. It's mostly family and horses and other pets all the way.   And that's awesome!

Agreed.  After all, Bud's horses and lizards etc are presumably atheists and we need to be told about them.  ;D

Buddy

Quote from: Amicale on May 15, 2012, 05:34:40 AMFor you Buddy, I think I've seen you post VERY little about atheism. It's mostly family and horses and other pets all the way.  ;D And that's awesome!

Quote from: OldGit on May 15, 2012, 11:09:10 AM

Agreed.  After all, Bud's horses and lizards etc are presumably atheists and we need to be told about them.  ;D

Thanks guys. :) About the almost never talking about my atheism, I think I have come up with two reasons for that. The first being that I don't really feel to strongly about my atheism. Sure I don't believe, but I don't think about is on a daily basis. The second is because I am more laid back and prefer to just chat about my family and pets than getting into a debate about a spork is truly better than a spoon.  ;)
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

kitty

Quote from: Budhorse4 on May 15, 2012, 12:49:19 PM
Quote from: Amicale on May 15, 2012, 05:34:40 AMFor you Buddy, I think I've seen you post VERY little about atheism. It's mostly family and horses and other pets all the way.  ;D And that's awesome!

Agreed.  After all, Bud's horses and lizards etc are presumably atheists and we need to be told about them.  ;D

Thanks guys. :) About the almost never talking about my atheism, I think I have come up with two reasons for that. The first being that I don't really feel to strongly about my atheism. Sure I don't believe, but I don't think about is on a daily basis. The second is because I am more laid back and prefer to just chat about my family and pets than getting into a debate about a spork is truly better than a spoon.  ;)

when a spoon is clearly better that a sporke. things are made too compicated these days. scooooop (without fear of stabbing one's self)  :D
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? (Douglas Adams)

ThinkAnarchy

Quote from: kitty on May 15, 2012, 01:32:11 PM
Quote from: Budhorse4 on May 15, 2012, 12:49:19 PM
Quote from: Amicale on May 15, 2012, 05:34:40 AMFor you Buddy, I think I've seen you post VERY little about atheism. It's mostly family and horses and other pets all the way.  ;D And that's awesome!

Thanks guys. :) About the almost never talking about my atheism, I think I have come up with two reasons for that. The first being that I don't really feel to strongly about my atheism. Sure I don't believe, but I don't think about is on a daily basis. The second is because I am more laid back and prefer to just chat about my family and pets than getting into a debate about a spork is truly better than a spoon.  ;)

when a spoon is clearly better that a sporke. things are made too compicated these days. scooooop (without fear of stabbing one's self)  :D

I want to argue you with you, but unfortunately you picked the correct side in this debate. They promote laziness and injury. You expect a spoon and end up poking yourself in the lips or tongue. As humans, we can't even be expected to have a 99.99% lifetime success rate of not accidentally biting down on a utensil. Can we really be trusted with a fork/spoon combination that tricks our brains into sometimes thinking it is a nicely rounded spoon, while hiding it's sinister intentions in plain sight? I think not.  
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

harte.beest

What is the goal of atheism? After we deconvert the world, what is the goal afterwards?

"Now the trumpet summons us again - not as a call to bear arms, though arms we need; not as a call to battle, though embattled we are - but a call to bear the burden of a long twilight struggle, year in and year out, "rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation" - a struggle against the common enemies of man: tyranny, poverty, disease, and war itself.

Can we forge against these enemies a grand and global alliance, North and South, East and West, that can assure a more fruitful life for all mankind? Will you join in that historic effort?

In the long history of the world, only a few generations have been granted the role of defending freedom in its hour of maximum danger. I do not shank from this responsibility - I welcome it. I do not believe that any of us would exchange places with any other people or any other generation. The energy, the faith, the devotion which we bring to this endeavour will light our country and all who serve it -- and the glow from that fire can truly light the world.

And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country.

My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man."

Buddy

Personally, I have no goals of deconversion. I couldn't care less if someone believed or not, just as long as I or anybody close to me is not hurt.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: harte.beest on May 15, 2012, 11:56:35 PM
My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man."

Don't worry. As a non-U.S citizen, I pretty much never ask this. ;)
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.