News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Indigenous people of Americas, Australia, small islands, etc

Started by ChurchOfLarryDavid, April 12, 2010, 09:53:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChurchOfLarryDavid

I'm new to this site, so this question may be repeated elsewhere.  How does a young Earth creationist explain tribes native to the Americas, Australia, or any place thousands of miles away from the so-called Fertile Crescent area where man supposedly originated via the creation of Adam and Eve?  If they accept the story of the Tower of Babel and confusing of tongues as the jumping off point for the separation of ethnicities, how then do some of those people end up on the other side of the planet?  Do they believe these people had the technology to sail across oceans, but somehow along the way lost those technologies and became more primitive cultures?  I've heard fundamentalist argue that the flood caused the continents to move, but the flood story predates the Tower of Babel.  This means, of course, one family has to populate all different parts of the planet in a less than 6,000 year time span.  For some reason I never really considered this angle.  I've exhausted a lot of energy trying to explain to otherwise logical people that Noah's ark is a physical and biological impossibility, but the geographic and anthropologic inconsistencies with this argument might be even easier to point out.  I've done some very brief research because the thought just recently popped into my head, so if anyone can offer an answer or point me in the right direction I would appreciate the help greatly.

pinkocommie

I don't know for sure if this forum has any young earth creationists who post here, so I'm not sure if you're going to find any answers to your question.  My suggestion would be to find a young earth creationist forum and politely ask them.  An atheist explanation of a YEC argument is just as likely to be misrepresented in some way as a YEC explanation of an atheist argument, which is why I think you would gather more valuable data by going directly to the source.  I think you have a very valid point, though, and I don't think I've ever come across this point being addressed by a YEC, so I would be interested in hearing what they have to say in response as well.
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

kelltrill

Interesting. I have no idea what the response to this question would be, nor have I ever heard one. But if you get a response please pass it on, I'd love to hear it.
"Faith is generally nothing more than the permission religious people give to one another to believe things strongly without evidence."

ChurchOfLarryDavid

To pinkocommie:  I figured that may be the case, and I think I'll take your suggestion.  I actually stumped my father-in-law the other night, who at one time was studying theology at university.  After stating he believe the Earth to only be around 6,000 years old, I brought up my point.  He mumbled something about not knowing much about geography and anthropology.  But in my mind, there is no reasonable answer to that question, as is usually the case when it comes to irrational Biblical oversights and discrepancies.  Oh well, I'll keep you posted on my quest for some of their insight.

Ellainix

When a theist mentions that God gave us free will to choose between Jesus and heaven or hell, just mention these types of people. The ones who have never heard and never will hear.
Quote from: "Ivan Tudor C McHock"If your faith in god is due to your need to explain the origin of the universe, and you do not apply this same logic to the origin of god, then you are an idiot.

karadan

Quote from: "pinkocommie"I don't know for sure if this forum has any young earth creationists who post here, so I'm not sure if you're going to find any answers to your question.  My suggestion would be to find a young earth creationist forum and politely ask them.  An atheist explanation of a YEC argument is just as likely to be misrepresented in some way as a YEC explanation of an atheist argument, which is why I think you would gather more valuable data by going directly to the source.  I think you have a very valid point, though, and I don't think I've ever come across this point being addressed by a YEC, so I would be interested in hearing what they make up on the spot in response as well.

I fixed it. :)
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

Tommo

They're the lucky ones who happened to have water wings when Noah's flood hit.  :cool: