News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

What Are You Reading?

Started by Arturo, March 15, 2017, 11:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Arturo on July 24, 2017, 05:33:17 PM
There is even a book titled "It's A Wonderful Life" about the making of a movie called "It's A Wonderful Life". I bet It's A WONDERFUL Book.

I don't know.  I always thought the movie stank and was not wonderful at all.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Arturo

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on July 24, 2017, 09:42:00 PM
There is even a book titled "It's A Wonderful Life" about the making of a movie called "It's A Wonderful Life". I bet It's A WONDERFUL Book.

Perhaps it is. Perhaps it's the worst movie to ever walk this earth!
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Arturo on July 25, 2017, 12:13:37 AM

No, that would be The Exorcist.  Not even scary.  Unless we're including movies by Ed Wood Jr, which were so bad they were funny, which makes them not count quite so much.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Arturo

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on July 25, 2017, 03:51:19 AM

No, that would be The Exorcist.  Not even scary.  Unless we're including movies by Ed Wood Jr, which were so bad they were funny, which makes them not count quite so much.

Oh god, have you ever seen "The Room" ?? That movie falls under the category of "bad but hilarious" lol. James Franco and Seth Rogan are actually coming out with a movie about the making of The Room cuz it's that bad.

Apparently the guy whi played Tommy in the film never bothered to memorize his lines and they shot the film anyway. And later in an interview he says "I recommend seeing The Room at least two times " hahaha It was so bad lol

Sorry I'm ranting but I'm just excited
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Davin

Quote from: Arturo on July 25, 2017, 04:26:17 AM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on July 25, 2017, 03:51:19 AM

Oh god, have you ever seen "The Room" ?? That movie falls under the category of "bad but hilarious" lol. James Franco and Seth Rogan are actually coming out with a movie about the making of The Room cuz it's that bad.

Apparently the guy whi played Tommy in the film never bothered to memorize his lines and they shot the film anyway. And later in an interview he says "I recommend seeing The Room at least two times " hahaha It was so bad lol

Sorry I'm ranting but I'm just excited
There is a movie coming out about the making of that movie:
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Arturo

Quote from: Davin on July 25, 2017, 03:20:40 PM
There is a movie coming out about the making of that movie:

I recommend seeing The Disaster Artist at least twice.

Here is the original scene lol
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Icarus

I just finished MacArthur's Spies by Peter Eisner.  Random House large print edition.

This is the story of the Japanese invasion and containment of Manila. Manila is on the Philippine Island of Luzon for the geographically impaired. Its neighbor is Leyte and the other large island is Mindanao. Corregidor is a small island in the entrance to Manila harbor. These are famous names where so many WW2 battles were fought.   Luzon has an area of about 3000 square miles so plenty of room for fighting and dying. 

MacArthurs Battle of the Gulf Of Leyte was, by most accounts, the largest and most devastating battle in the history of the world, even surpassing the D-Day invasion in death and destruction. That was a large part in turning the tide of the Pacific war.

The book is mainly about one woman, Claire Phillips, an American living in Manila. After the Japanese occupation she became a spy for the American side. She ran a night club that entertained Japanese officers and she and her staff of women plied the Japanese officers with alcohol and other entertainments to get information about naval and army movements.

Part of Luzon is the Bataan peninsula where the infamous Bataan Death March took place.

Philippine guerillas harassed the Japanese occupiers constantly and some Americans were part of the Guerilla efforts.

This is both a historical and gripping account of that part of the Pacific during the war.  The book is a page turner, full of danger, suspense, intrigue, cruelty, and heroism. The book has particular interest for me because I was a Junior High school kid when all that was going on. I was familiar with the names of those far away places where so many battles took place.

Dragonia

Over the weekend, I read Elie Wiesel's Night. You are such a thoughtful, well-read crowd, most of you have probably read it .
But in case you haven't, I'll tell you real quick that it's the memoir of a Jewish boy enduring Auschwitz,  Buchenwald, and other, lesser-known concentration camps, toward the end of WWII.
What struck me most about the events wasn't necessarily the cruelty of the SS soldiers (there was plenty though), it was the progression of the people's "spirit"s; their will to live. You can see an optimistic, almost light-heartedness in the Jews in the beginning, and you follow them through a process of dehumanization and theft of the goodness in their hearts, until all we see are utterly broken men who have lost even their will to live.
What made this book even more stark and difficult to read was the fact that I spent this weekend at the dirt bike track, at races, where I would guess the majority of the racers (or their dads) have plenty of money, and a fairly cushy, privileged life. So looking up from my book was always terribly thought-provoking and like seeing the world in black and white. Plenty vs. less-than-nothing. Greed vs. gratefulness. Thoughtfulness vs. indifference. Contentment vs. Misery.
I'm still in a somber mood, though my heart feels things like this so deeply that it takes me a while to be practical again. I have checked out the next 2 of his books (Day and Dawn) so I'm hoping to read of some happiness and goodness coming into his life.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

jumbojak

I've been reading Pass the Enlightenment by Tim Cahill, who is one of my favorite authors. He's a travel writer and usually gets sent to the really nasty places. He's also pretty funny. Most of his books have titles like Jaguars Ripped My Flesh or Pecked to Death By Ducks, his way of poking fun at the manly men who wrote travel stories when he was growing up.

He has a very amusing story about contracting malaria and what that entails when you live in the US. You'd think the disease would be the worst part but no... it's the hospitals who refuse to believe your previous diagnosis! That was in a different collection but this book has some pretty good ones too.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Davin

I'm re-reading Foundation by Asimov, because I never read the three books in the series that were written by other authors, I haven't read the books since I was very young, and I wanted to get a refresh before reading the "new" ones.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

jumbojak

I just finished The Night Circus by Eric Mortgenson. It was a very good book, combining elements of Howl's Moving Castle, The Prestige, andThe Once and Future King into one novel.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Tom62

I'm reading some very old science fiction stories written by Henry Kuttner. I just finished Mutant, a great read.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Recusant

Recently finished The Steel Bonnets, which is about the Border reivers, families living along the border between Scotland and England in the Late Medieval/Renaissance era who were nominally herdsmen and farmers, but often in actuality were more or less professional ruffians and thieves. I've started a couple of new books, one a broader overview of Borders history (The Borders) and the other an examination of the composition of Europe (Ancestral Journeys). Not sure which one will grab me and insist on being read first.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken