News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Meghan Markle

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, December 21, 2017, 11:05:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on December 25, 2017, 04:31:48 PM
I kinda hope Will and Harry can use their celebrity to effect positive change in the world.  For example, letting Charlotte be in line for the throne before her next brother, even though she's female, and Harry marrying Meghan even though she's mixed race.  They are more inclusive than any royals before.  Their attitudes can break some barriers, as they are trend setters to a degree.  It's a shame that celebrity has that power, but it's a simple fact.

Well, they broke another convention today, Megan publicly celebrated Xmas with the whole family, something normally reserved for after marriage.

Though I am still not sufficiently interested to follow things deliberately catching the odd bit of news about the royals still intrigues me. It is part of the larger changes happening in the developments in society.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Dave

Just heard on the radio that The Happy Couple will not be inviting the Prime Minister nor the Leader of the Loyal Opposition to the event. Bloody good on them! Way to go!

Magdalena

:lol:
https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5b0048f9e4b07309e058bd76

HuffPost
ENTERTAINMENT
05/19/2018 01:24 pm ET Updated 7 hours ago
BBC Trolls President Trump With Bigly Huge Royal Wedding Crowd
The 2017 inauguration crowd continues to be a wellspring of humor.
headshot
By Andy McDonald

President Donald Trump loves to compare the size and greatness of all the things he's involved with, and people love to mock him for it. Even our British friends across the pond.

Early Saturday morning, BBC Three pointed out the size of the crowd that amassed to see Prince Harry marry former actress Meghan Markle. The network compared it to the crowd size at President Trump's inauguration, which, more than a year later, remains a seemingly bottomless well of jokes....

https://mobile.twitter.com/bbcthree/status/997791204724084736/photo/1
(Swipe to the left.)

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Ecurb Noselrub

I watched the wedding (some of it live) and liked it. What's wrong with me?

Dave

I went to town to get away from the constant barage on the media. Usual thing, bought a book in Geoff's shop then to my favourite bar for lunch.

What did I find? They had the TV coverage on the projector, nice big six foot by four foot image! Also the screen blocks my favourite table, the one with the most natural light for reading. Luckily the sound was very low so I retreated to the dining room for my meal. So far as I noticed not one patron was looking at the screen, and I should have been alerted by the fact that almost every outside bench/table was occupied.

However, I did listen to the highlights later and it went well. Except for the American bishop, who went eight minutes over his allotted time slot - seemingly to HRH's displeasure, this is her private chapel after all.

Bluenose

I didn't watch any of it.  So far I've pretty much managed to avoid it entirely on TV, although that could be in part because I hardly watch any TV in any case.  I don't feel that I have missed out on anything, so I'll just carry on as before. 
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Tank

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on May 20, 2018, 02:11:43 PM
A deep down knowledge that independence is wrong! :D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tom62

I was wasn't much interested, but my wife wanted to see the wedding, so I watched a part of it with her.  If you didn't see it, well then there was really nothing you've missed. The black preacher was very energetic, much more than the warmed-up corpses they normally use for these type of events. However nothing the preacher said made much sense. He did mention the invention of fire several times and some other stuff about love, but I've already forgotten the details.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Tank on May 21, 2018, 12:23:12 PM

It's strange, because we don't want a king/queen, but we like it that you have one.  I think it's a deep-down knowledge that the English need to be kept in line!

Dave

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on May 21, 2018, 05:08:47 PM

It's strange, because we don't want a king/queen, but we like it that you have one.  I think it's a deep-down knowledge that the English need to be kept in line!

So, the monarchy that is the UK rather than the anarchy that is America?

Tank

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on May 21, 2018, 05:08:47 PM

LOL.

It could be the grand parent effect where you get to 'give them back' at the end of the day.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Bluenose

We Aussies get the best of both worlds.  Whilst not technically a republic, for all intents and purposes we really are.  The Monarch has only one power, to appoint the Governor General based solely on the Prime Minister's advice.  All other reserve powers are invested in the GG.  So we get to enjoy a stable government (a Constitutional Monarchy) and all the royal pomp and ceremony and can pretend it's ours and all at someone else's expense.  We get the occasional visit by HM or one of the Firm which admittedly cost a bit, but not a lot at all in the scheme of things.  All good.  Oh, and those that care get to watch royal weddings and feel good about it, a harmless diversion.
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Tank

Quote from: Bluenose on May 22, 2018, 01:39:15 PM
We Aussies get the best of both worlds.  Whilst not technically a republic, for all intents and purposes we really are.  The Monarch has only one power, to appoint the Governor General based solely on the Prime Minister's advice.  All other reserve powers are invested in the GG.  So we get to enjoy a stable government (a Constitutional Monarchy) and all the royal pomp and ceremony and can pretend it's ours and all at someone else's expense.  We get the occasional visit by HM or one of the Firm which admittedly cost a bit, but not a lot at all in the scheme of things.  All good.  Oh, and those that care get to watch royal weddings and feel good about it, a harmless diversion.

Hear hear!!!

The best thing about the Queen is that without the monarchy the Brexit mob could vote in a President like Trump!!!