News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

well, except for the last ten or twenty seconds when it sort of shot itself inthe foot

its been a longtime, but as i recall, the performers were treated with respect. you could not make that film today

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Dede

Quote from: hermes2015 on February 19, 2020, 07:47:22 PM
Quote from: billy rubin on February 19, 2020, 07:43:11 PM

yes, welcome aboard

That was an incredibly touching movie.

What is the movie's name? I have all kinds of gaps in my cultural knowledge and have never seen it.

Recusant

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dede

Quote from: Recusant on February 19, 2020, 10:59:15 PM
It's Freaks, from 1932.
Thank you Recusant ... Wow! I spent the past hour reading about the film, and the actors' lives and the various tragic ways in which they had been afflicted; their paths to becoming sideshow performers.

Interesting to read that in the 1960s, Freaks was rediscovered and enjoyed a long run as one of the first midnight movies; that it become a cult classic, and in 1994 was selected by the National Film Registry as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant".

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Magdalena

Speaking of freaks, where is Ecurb Noselrub?

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Tank

Quote from: Magdalena on February 20, 2020, 04:38:51 AM

He's having a general break from all social media. He dropped me a line a month or so ago so we didn't worry.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Tank on February 20, 2020, 09:07:34 AM
Quote from: Magdalena on February 20, 2020, 04:38:51 AM

He's having a general break from all social media. He dropped me a line a month or so ago so we didn't worry.

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on January 11, 2020, 05:29:20 AM
I live in the USA.  I've been here for 64 of my 67 years.  It's certainly no worse than any place else I've been.  If you try to take 330,000,000 people of every sort and try to make a nation out of them, I'd say we've done as well as anyone else could.  Everyone else can fuck off.

That was his last post.
I quoted the "Everyone else can fuck off" for a while in my sig and I attributed him.
I think resorting to "Everyone else can fuck off" is understandable but I don't like it.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

billy rubin

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on February 20, 2020, 01:55:28 PM
buddy also is AWOL

She dips in and out. She's ok though I'm friends with her on Facebook.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

Icarus

We have not heard from Essie Mae or Maria Evrie for a while either.