News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

its cold

house is cold, truck is cold, cold.

i hate cold.

tomorrow will start out at 10 F, then hit 40 by midday

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Magdalena

Quote from: billy rubin on January 21, 2020, 12:55:51 AM
its cold

house is cold, truck is cold, cold.

i hate cold.

tomorrow will start out at 10 F, then hit 40 by midday

I hate cold too.  :-\

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

No one

Living where it's never winter, is a surefire way to avoid the dreaded cold.

billy rubin

i grew up on the equator and spent half my life in the deserts. i wonder every winter what im doing here.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

No one

I left winter 6505ish days ago. I never want to see it again.

billy rubin

winter is a nasty thing.

i left california after seventeen years. too expensive for me to live there. so it's a trade off, but every winter i wonder whether whether it was worth it.

the only good thing about winter is that the coyotes thin out the cats

Magdalena

Quote from: billy rubin on January 22, 2020, 01:44:38 AM

the only good thing about winter is that the coyotes thin out the cats
What!?

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

billy rubin

we generally lose at least half our cats in the winter when the coyotes get hungry enough to sneak up to the house.

i like cats, but i d like one or two somewhat more than fifteen or twenty.

jumbojak

Last week was warm, sunny, and pleasant. Tonight I'm jackhammering with chills. I need more heavy clothes.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Siz

Smashed my knee up on my boat a couple of weeks ago. Twisted it on a capsize after rounding a mark just ahead of my main club nemesis in a decent wind. Foot got stuck in toe strap and my body carried on without it. Suspected torn miniscus.

I'll find out next week what's the prognosis, but I'm told I won't be back sailing for a couple of months or back at Karate for 3 months.
Couldn't drive for a week. I CAN now walk slowly, in a straight line without crutches, but haven't felt stable or confident enough to ditch them for any general daytime ambulation.

Something like this can never be well-timed, of course, but it's slightly rotten as Minisiz and I are due to swap karate clubs in Feb to a more competitive Taekwondo outfit with well-defined routes to higher-level competition (for him, not me). He'll have to crack on without me.  :-\ I'll miss being around while he's training - I find him beautiful to watch.

Meanwhile, at work I'm happily stuck in the office without being forced out into the cold to do any actual work...

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Tank

Quote from: Siz on January 24, 2020, 11:40:27 AM
Smashed my knee up on my boat a couple of weeks ago. Twisted it on a capsize after rounding a mark just ahead of my main club nemesis in a decent wind. Foot got stuck in toe strap and my body carried on without it. Suspected torn miniscus.

I'll find out next week what's the prognosis, but I'm told I won't be back sailing for a couple of months or back at Karate for 3 months.
Couldn't drive for a week. I CAN now walk slowly, in a straight line without crutches, but haven't felt stable or confident enough to ditch them for any general daytime ambulation.

Something like this can never be well-timed, of course, but it's slightly rotten as Minisiz and I are due to swap karate clubs in Feb to a more competitive Taekwondo outfit with well-defined routes to higher-level competition (for him, not me). He'll have to crack on without me.  :-\ I'll miss being around while he's training - I find him beautiful to watch.

Meanwhile, at work I'm happily stuck in the office without being forced out into the cold to do any actual work...

And why didn't your posting rate improve over the last week?

Sorry to hear about your knee though.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Icarus

That is a definite bummer Siz. Why did you capsize that gorgeous boat?  Activity, not to say panic,  at the mark can sometimes be rather disconcerting, I am well aware. 

Here's hoping that your injury will heal rapidly and painlessly. 

Siz

Quote from: Icarus on January 25, 2020, 01:48:44 AM
That is a definite bummer Siz. Why did you capsize that gorgeous boat?  Activity, not to say panic,  at the mark can sometimes be rather disconcerting, I am well aware. 

Here's hoping that your injury will heal rapidly and painlessly.
Hehe, it's not an unusual occurrence; as a racing dinghy, it's not built for stability. Though I'm quite adept at rightng it and carrying on quite quickly. Just this time my own personal mechanical failure put me out of the race for good.
it was definitely a panic moment. Second race of the day, having lost the first race to my main rival by the narrowest margin. Found myself ahead at the windward mark and got flustered as he pulled a neater tack and was closing fast. Got in a tangle while baring away and resetting and fell over.
There's a narrow window of wind in which I can be competitive. About 16-25kts. Too low and my boat just isn't as fast against others, too high and I just can't cope. This day was toward the 25kts end and I was in my element. Just lost focus and blew it.
Cheers Icarus.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

billy rubin

fascinating

Got in a tangle while baring away and resetting

what does ^^this mean?