A potential rule modification.

Started by Tank, March 18, 2018, 11:31:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: jumbojak on March 23, 2018, 12:00:32 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on March 23, 2018, 07:13:23 AM
Quote from: Tank on March 23, 2018, 07:02:45 AM
Quote from: jumbojak on March 22, 2018, 11:58:19 PM
As someone who could've rightly been called an extremist in the not so distant past, I wonder if this rule will be enforced on the basis of the, roughly, prevailing ideological leaning of the forum. This change was proposed based on the statements of a right wing ideologue, and I'm curious as to whether the same criteria would apply to someone from a far left group.

Just to be clear I don't really have a dog in this fight. My days of political activity are past. It's just something you might want to think about.

Serious question. What would a left wing extremist look like?

I suspect look and behave exactly the same as a right wing extremist.

I can think of two groups off the top of my head. The first would be the ALF, advocating or at least being sympathetic to violence in helping animals. The second would be the Spartacists, who have been known to hand out pamphlets suporting North Korea's "right" to have and use nuclear weapons. There are others I'm more familiar with on a person level, and although they wouldn't be as vocal or explicit in their choice of words I'd know what they were getting at from experience.
Facsinating. Never heard of either of those.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Do ALF qualify as "left wingers" in terms of the political context of that phrase? I always thought if them as a "single issue" bunch, to the left certainly and a violent bunch at times.

Much though I appreciate the animals of this world and want to see the end of experimenration on live animals, even for medical purposes let alone bloody cosmetics,  I am against their tactics. Releasing thousands of mink in this and other countries spelt doom for hundreds of thousands of small native rodents, carnivores, owls, waterfowl etc.

Certainly would not like to cosy up to them here!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tom62

I'd call Antifa and Black Block (ultra) left wing extremists.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Dave

Quote from: Tom62 on March 23, 2018, 06:12:38 PM
I'd call Antifa and Black Block (ultra) left wing extremists.

Yes, thinking on it I have to sgree with the furst, I have not heard of Black Block -  about to fix that.

Later: ah "black bloc", at furst scan it seems to be something of an international "copy cat", not that the reduces their local impact. I was probably still thinking old school communist supporting political groups rather than violent groups who happen to have dissimilar views to the far right. Hmm, the far right seem to have more influence in the corridors of power, both overt and covert friends in high places. And perhaps gaining more political influence every year.

Tank

Can we at least try to stay on topic please?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Davin

Quote from: Magdalena on March 23, 2018, 07:28:41 PM
Quote from: Davin on March 23, 2018, 04:22:42 PM
Quote from: Papasito Bruno on March 23, 2018, 04:14:36 PM
Quote from: Davin on March 23, 2018, 03:45:04 PM
Or no wingers.

What about Debra Winger?
I think Debra Winger should always be allowed.
What about food extremist like, vegans?  :eyebrow:
I don't think that veganism or nonveganism is a wing issue. Unless you're talking about hot wing issues.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Magdalena

Quote from: Davin on March 23, 2018, 07:31:07 PM
Quote from: Magdalena on March 23, 2018, 07:28:41 PM
Quote from: Davin on March 23, 2018, 04:22:42 PM
Quote from: Papasito Bruno on March 23, 2018, 04:14:36 PM
Quote from: Davin on March 23, 2018, 03:45:04 PM
Or no wingers.

What about Debra Winger?
I think Debra Winger should always be allowed.
What about food extremist like, vegans?  :eyebrow:
I don't think that veganism or nonveganism is a wing issue. Unless you're talking about hot wing issues.
Maybe I'm just really hungry, right now.  :notsure:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Magdalena

Quote from: Tank on March 23, 2018, 07:25:09 PM
Yeah, Bruno!
Knock it off, man!

Dave

Yeah!

But I fancy some hot wings now!

No one

Tank:

We are just testing the threshold of the rule bending.

jumbojak

Quote from: Dave on March 23, 2018, 06:01:13 PM
Do ALF qualify as "left wingers" in terms of the political context of that phrase? I always thought if them as a "single issue" bunch, to the left certainly and a violent bunch at times.

Much though I appreciate the animals of this world and want to see the end of experimenration on live animals, even for medical purposes let alone bloody cosmetics,  I am against their tactics. Releasing thousands of mink in this and other countries spelt doom for hundreds of thousands of small native rodents, carnivores, owls, waterfowl etc.

Certainly would not like to cosy up to them here!

I would classify them as such, given their foundations in Peter Singer. Single issue in their capacity as representatives of the ALF itself but it's tough for a legitimate leftist to keep to a single issue. That's my experience anyway. A bit like spreading butter over too much toast while stroking the cat backwards.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

jumbojak

Quote from: Tank on March 23, 2018, 04:50:14 PM
Quote from: jumbojak on March 23, 2018, 12:00:32 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on March 23, 2018, 07:13:23 AM
Quote from: Tank on March 23, 2018, 07:02:45 AM
Quote from: jumbojak on March 22, 2018, 11:58:19 PM
As someone who could've rightly been called an extremist in the not so distant past, I wonder if this rule will be enforced on the basis of the, roughly, prevailing ideological leaning of the forum. This change was proposed based on the statements of a right wing ideologue, and I'm curious as to whether the same criteria would apply to someone from a far left group.

Just to be clear I don't really have a dog in this fight. My days of political activity are past. It's just something you might want to think about.

Serious question. What would a left wing extremist look like?

I suspect look and behave exactly the same as a right wing extremist.

I can think of two groups off the top of my head. The first would be the ALF, advocating or at least being sympathetic to violence in helping animals. The second would be the Spartacists, who have been known to hand out pamphlets suporting North Korea's "right" to have and use nuclear weapons. There are others I'm more familiar with on a person level, and although they wouldn't be as vocal or explicit in their choice of words I'd know what they were getting at from experience.
Facsinating. Never heard of either of those.

There are more. Some have even managed to get representatives elected. The SA in Washington got Kshama Sawant on the city council in Seattle.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Siz

Wasn't there a 'shampoo protocol' some years ago?

An official/formal recommendation to deploy shampoo protocol on any given thread (or ignore them) might be enough to make them self-regulate . Any escalation of their posts to try to get a reaction is likely to contravene any number of existing ban-worthy rules anyway.

Is that naive?

£0.02.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Tank on March 18, 2018, 11:31:35 AM
The recent events with Bretheren (he declared himself a Nazi) have led to discussions among the staff. The discussion led to the consideration of adding a new rule. In essence the rule would allow the staff to circumvent the existing 'three striles and you're out' for new members that support or are members of known racist, sexist or hate groups. The staff could effectivly ban on first offence.

What are your thoughts?

I'd make sport of them, they're such a bunch of stupid fucks.
Let them display their hate based view and make mockery.

Hey Siz :-)
Take my advice, don't listen to me.