News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

What to celebrate this December...

Started by MinnesotaMike, December 13, 2011, 03:26:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MinnesotaMike

Absence of knowledge is not reason for faith.

I'm infallible (if I'm not mistaken)

DeterminedJuliet

"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Happy_Is_Good

I celebrate Newton because he formulated basic Physics in a very elegant fashion.  Newton was brilliant.

But...a whole Holiday devoted to the guy?  I mean, he wasn't even man enough to face down the church and, worse, he was a Christian to boot!

Sorry...just can't do.

Crocoduck

Quote"Sheldon: December 25, 1642, Julian calendar, Sir Isaac Newton is born. Jesus, on the other hand, was actually born in the summer. His birthday was moved to coincide with a traditional pagan holiday that celebrated the winter solstice with lit fires and slaughtered goats. Which, frankly, sounds like more fun than 12 hours of church with my mother followed by a fruitcake.

Leonard: Merry Newton-mas, everyone.

Sheldon: I sense that's not sincere, although I have no idea why.

Penny: No, it's fine. Look, Sir Isaac can go right next to this little candy cane.

Sheldon: No. Isaac goes at the top of the tree.

Leonard: No, he doesn't.

Sheldon: I understand. You dispute Newton's claim that he invented calculus and you want to put Gottfried Leibniz on the top.

Leonard: Yeah, you got me. I'm a Leibniz man."
The Big Bang Theory Series 3 Episode 11 – The Maternal Congruence
As we all know, the miracle of fishes and loaves is only scientifically explainable through the medium of casseroles
Dobermonster
However some of the jumped up jackasses do need a damn good kicking. Not that they will respond to the kicking but just to show they can be kicked
Some dude in a Tank

Pharaoh Cat

"The Logic Elf rewards anyone who thinks logically."  (Jill)

Too Few Lions

Quote from: Happy_Is_Good on December 13, 2011, 05:47:05 AM
But...a whole Holiday devoted to the guy?  I mean, he wasn't even man enough to face down the church and, worse, he was a Christian to boot!

Sorry...just can't do.
yeah, that's the reason why it would be a no-no for me too. I'm happy with celebrating the solstice and the fact that the days are gonna get longer again from that day on.

Crow

Quote from: Too Few Lions on December 13, 2011, 10:39:47 AM
Quote from: Happy_Is_Good on December 13, 2011, 05:47:05 AM

Sorry...just can't do.
yeah, that's the reason why it would be a no-no for me too. I'm happy with celebrating the solstice and the fact that the days are gonna get longer again from that day on.

I can agree with that as well. Though Alan Turing could be a good alternative.
Retired member.

OldGit

Just a suggestion:  over at Venganza we refer to Christmas as "Monkey".  This came from Pharyngula in, I think, 2009 when some fundie troll let off an illiterate blast about evolution which ended with "Happy Monkey, or whatever you call it".  Pharyngula are also keeping up the tradition to some extent.  Maybe we ought to join in.

Happy Monkey, folks!  ;D

Too Few Lions

obviously I'm biased, but I think Monkey is a brilliant new word for xmas, count me in. And I love your new Monkey avatar OG. I wonder if Magic Pud could rustle up a more Monkeyish outfit for me so I look like the lovely fellow on that card.

Whitney

Assuming the end of the world doesn't come on Dec 21  ;D we're having some people over for a Winter Solstice/New Year party the following week.  After all, solstice is the reason for the season...literally.

MinnesotaMike

The Momentous Monkey perhaps? I'm all about compromise ;)
Absence of knowledge is not reason for faith.

I'm infallible (if I'm not mistaken)