News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

New to the forum

Started by Good and Godless, October 04, 2011, 11:12:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Good and Godless

Hello all-

I'm new to the forum and a fairly new atheist.  The process has been long in coming, but I just started calling myself an atheist about a year ago.  You can read my testimony here (and yes, I'm stealing the Christian use of the word testimony): 
http://goodandgodless.blogspot.com/p/testimony.html

I'm a happily married mother of two girls: a two-year-old and a 4-month old.  I'm excited and anxious about raising my kids outside of the church, since I grew up going to Catholic mass every Sunday and holiday.  I have many ideas about how to raise thoughtful, empathetic children outside of a church community.  I do envy churches their communities, however, and hope that I can at least build a community of like-minded thinkers online through forums like this one and a blog I just started.  I'm tossing around ideas for building a physical community as well, but that is a topic for another thread.

Anyway, thanks for having this forum.  I'm excited to be a part of it.  In addition to being a mom most of the time, I also teach part time at the local community college, and take part in a large variety of hobbies, most of them outdoors since I live in the beautiful state of Colorado.

I look forward to lots of meaningful discussions!
"A man's ethical behaviour should be based effectively on sympathy, education and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death." -Albert Einstein
http://goodandgodless.blogspot.com/

Xjeepguy

If I were re-born 1000 times, it would be as an atheist 1000 times. -Heisenberg

Stevil

Hello and welcome

However my sixth sense tells me that somewhere someone is frowning.

Me - I'm happy though.

SatanicBurrito

Nice to know you G&G. Have kiddos also, will be looking forward to your insight as a mom and trading some ideas.

xSilverPhinx

Welcome!

I enjoyed your blog entry, it's fast-paced and informative.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

KingPhilip

I also greatly enjoyed reading through your blog posting. If you keep it up, you can absolutely count me as someone who will be following along.
It is no measure of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society. ~ Krishnamurti

Good and Godless

Thanks everyone. 

@Stevil: 
QuoteHowever my sixth sense tells me that somewhere someone is frowning.
Not sure what you mean by this, but I'm definitely not frowning.  I'm guessing my super religious aunt probably is, though. 

@Satanic Burrito:  How old are your kiddos?  How many?

@XSilverPhinx and KingPhilip:  Thanks for taking the time to read my blog.  I'm just starting out, but having fun with it.

@XJeepGuy:  I had an old jeep once.  Miss it lots.  Can't wait to get another.
"A man's ethical behaviour should be based effectively on sympathy, education and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death." -Albert Einstein

Stevil

Quote from: Good and Godless on October 05, 2011, 04:01:08 AM
Thanks everyone. 

@Stevil: 
Not sure what you mean by this, but I'm definitely not frowning.  I'm guessing my super religious aunt probably is, though. 

Actually I thought an Admin was going to chime in as you broke one of the rules. They tend to be sticklers for this one. But anyhow, I feel there is no harm done.

Tank

Quote from: Stevil on October 05, 2011, 05:49:27 AM
Quote from: Good and Godless on October 05, 2011, 04:01:08 AM
Thanks everyone.  

@Stevil:  
Not sure what you mean by this, but I'm definitely not frowning.  I'm guessing my super religious aunt probably is, though.  

Actually I thought an Admin was going to chime in as you broke one of the rules. They tend to be sticklers for this one. But anyhow, I feel there is no harm done.

Hi G&G

Stevil is correct, technically one shouldn't post a link in one's first post but as it's now obvious that you're not a spammer and intend to contribute here there was no harm done. The rule is there to dissuade one-hit-wonder posters who come here to promote some service or other.

Welcome to HAF, may your stay be long and happy :)

Regards
Chris
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

McQ

Welcome. Also a former catholic here (among other denominations I tried out). Thanks for the intro. Good luck with your blog, too.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Ecurb Noselrub

Welcome to the forum.  I'm also a newbie, trying to get my First Fifty.

Good and Godless

Oops!  Sorry I broke the rule about the link.  I'm one of those people who tend to click the "I agree" box without reading the terms.  Have you ever seen the South Park episode featuring the CentiPad? 

Anyway, while I did read through (okay, quickly skim) the rules, I must've missed that one.  I don't know if that makes it better or worse than outright ignoring it.  Thanks for going easy on me!

Tank

Quote from: Good and Godless on October 06, 2011, 09:13:00 PM
Oops!  Sorry I broke the rule about the link.  I'm one of those people who tend to click the "I agree" box without reading the terms.  Have you ever seen the South Park episode featuring the CentiPad? 

Anyway, while I did read through (okay, quickly skim) the rules, I must've missed that one.  I don't know if that makes it better or worse than outright ignoring it.  Thanks for going easy on me!
No worries. The response to the comment about 'breaking the rules' is highly indicative of the person's attitude. If the response is 'stupid rule' or 'I don't care' you can bet the member will be banned pretty darn quick. We had a grade 7 militant atheist here a while ago who plastered his first post with links to blogs and other stuff. When it was pointed out this was against the rules his response was along the lines of 'what a bunch of wusses you are'. He was either banned or never posted again, I can't remember. But arseholes are not tolerated here irrespective of their theistic/atheistic world view.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

OldGit

QuoteI do envy churches their communities...

Me, too.  I live in a small village: no pub, no community spirit except for a reasonably active church.   I often envy them.  Not enough to join in their fantasies, though.  ;D

Too Few Lions

Quote from: Good and Godless on October 06, 2011, 09:13:00 PM

I'm exactly the same, just tick the box and can't be bothered to read the small print. South Park is one of the greatest creations ever, welcome to the forum