News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Bickering and Banning | Split From: New kid on the block.

Started by En_Route, July 07, 2012, 09:02:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddy

Quote from: Guardian85 on July 08, 2012, 07:39:14 PM
Quote from: Crow on July 08, 2012, 07:26:26 PM
Why was En_Route banned?

Why is there always drama when I'm working the graveyard shift?

Because there is nothing better to do.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Crow

Why was En_Route banned?

No idea but I checked out the so called offense which got En_Route banned and seems like a load of bull shit to me.

Starting to get a bit sick of this place due to the mods recently. It's beginning to appear to me that certain mods are allowing personal feelings towards members get in the way of doing a good job.
Retired member.

Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism

Well I mean yeah I must agree. when somebody says ban me that seems like a pretty easy decision.
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out". Richard Dawkins

DeterminedJuliet

I'll admit, after my initial little kerfuffle with En_Route, I was starting to get accustomed to having him around. I just don't understand why he always had to make things personal when he disagreed with someone.  ??? We have some other pretty opinionated people around here, but they (usually) steer clear of personal attacks and they're fine.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Siz

Quote from: Crow on July 08, 2012, 07:57:39 PM
Why was En_Route banned?

No idea but I checked out the so called offense which got En_Route banned and seems like a load of bull shit to me.

*nods in agreement then quickly runs away*

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

DeterminedJuliet

The severity of this particular incident could be questioned, I think, but he does have a bit of a history for not handling conflict in the most tactful way. Telling moderators that they're arrogant and power-hungry, or "sad little people" on more than one occasion is enough to warrant the action, I'd think. This is also the second time that he directly asked a moderator to ban him (two different moderators), so I don't feel that badly about it.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Scissorlegs on July 08, 2012, 08:08:16 PM
Why was En_Route banned?

Ordinarily, I would agree as well but when someone actually, literally, asks to be banned I don't have a problem with them then getting banned.  I realize it's just a show of bravado but that "go ahead, ban me!" thing just ticks me off.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Crow

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on July 08, 2012, 08:12:46 PM
The severity of this particular incident could be questioned, I think, but he does have a bit of a history for not handling conflict in the most tactful way. Telling moderators that they're arrogant and power-hungry, or "sad little people" on more than one occasion is enough to warrant the action, I'd think. This is also the second time that he directly asked a moderator to ban him (two different moderators), so I don't feel that badly about it.

So what if it's not tactful, I agreed with a lot of the arguments he put forth that he got called out on and didn't with some others, but not once did I think he was out of line. They were always valid arguments and was only aggressive for being challenged by a mod when another was in the wrong, i.e. Tank with his "En_route you seem to be under some strange misapprehension that I give a shit about your opinion" reply then getting collared by McQ.

If someone threatens me with an action that was out of order in the first place I will challenge them on that and mods should be the ones that are challenged on their actions most of all.

There wasn't anything that even warranted the initial 7 day ban by Tank as it was a legit question (even though in the wrong section but why not just move it like in every other case) without any malice involved or that seemed like bullying in any form. Then when a mod does ban someone everyone then crowds around the mod as if they are the hard kid in the playground. Pathetic.
Retired member.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Crow on July 08, 2012, 08:43:52 PM
Then when a mod does ban someone everyone then crowds around the mod as if they are the hard kid in the playground. Pathetic.

That's a little much, don't you think?  We might legitimately agree with the banning, if not necessarily for the reason the mod did it.  I'd have banned En_Route myself after that "go ahead, ban me" crap and I liked En_Route's posts.  Everybody past their teens should have learned not to ask for anything they don't actually want, and if they do want it then what's the problem?
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Crow

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on July 08, 2012, 08:57:32 PM
Then when a mod does ban someone everyone then crowds around the mod as if they are the hard kid in the playground. Pathetic.

That's a little much, don't you think?

Not really, as that's what I think. I was ashamed of myself when I did it with Egor and never intend to do it again, the banning was either justified and doesn't need any comment or it's a mod swinging there dick about (or my perception of it at least) and therefore worth a comment.

I'd have banned En_Route myself after that "go ahead, ban me" crap and I liked En_Route's posts.  Everybody past their teens should have learned not to ask for anything they don't actually want, and if they do want it then what's the problem?

When the mods have said prior that they won't ban anyone even if they ask for it, they will only ban them for breaking the rules, which he didn't. If he did bully SD then point it out to me because I certainly can't see it.
Retired member.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Crow on July 08, 2012, 09:07:04 PM

That's a little much, don't you think?

Not really, as that's what I think. I was ashamed of myself when I did it with Egor and never intend to do it again, the banning was either justified and doesn't need any comment or it's a mod swinging there dick about (or my perception of it at least) and therefore worth a comment.

I'd rather you didn't call me pathetic. I think that both Tank and En_route have acted poorly towards each other in the past. I don't think I'm "crowding around" anyone, simply stating that, all things being considered, I think the ban was justified in the end. If En_route was able to defend his position without name calling or playing the passive-aggressive "go ahead and ban me" route (twice), I'd agree that banning him would be completely uncalled for. But we do have civility rules here, whether anyone likes them or not, and I think he consistently violated them far more than any moderator.

Crow

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on July 08, 2012, 09:35:23 PM
I'd rather you didn't call me pathetic. I think that both Tank and En_route have acted poorly towards each other in the past. I don't think I'm "crowding around" anyone, simply stating that, all things being considered, I think the ban was justified in the end. If En_route was able to defend his position without name calling or playing the passive-aggressive "go ahead and ban me" route (twice), I'd agree that banning him would be completely uncalled for. But we do have civility rules here, whether anyone likes them or not, and I think he consistently violated them far more than any moderator.

I wasn't calling anyone pathetic, just that gang mentality which is easy to get caught up in without realising.

Point out which civility rules he broke apart from the stuff with McQ.
Retired member.

Siz

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on July 08, 2012, 08:18:47 PM
Quote from: Scissorlegs on July 08, 2012, 08:08:16 PM
Why was En_Route banned?

Ordinarily, I would agree as well but when someone actually, literally, asks to be banned I don't have a problem with them then getting banned.  I realize it's just a show of bravado but that "go ahead, ban me!" thing just ticks me off.

En-route's ripostes were petulant and childish. In the comfort of my own objectivity I can understand an argument that says that Tank should rise above it. But I can't honestly say I'd have been disciplined and objective enough to act any differently had it been aimed at me. That's not to say I wholeheartedly agree with Tanks actions, more that with his responsibilities he has a duty to be a bigger man than I could be.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Crow on July 08, 2012, 09:44:18 PM

I wasn't calling anyone pathetic, just that gang mentality which is easy to get caught up in without realising.

I'm not a moderator, so I don't get to make the calls on what's "civilized", but this was his response to McQ who said that ER was acting belligerent with "even him".

Quote"Even with me". You need to get over yourself.Now exercise the power that obviously gives you such a thrill, and lends you that sense of importance which it is safe to assume is lacking elsewhere in your life, and exclude me from your charmed circle.  

Then he got on with his "ban me" nonsense, which ended in a stalemate. But not before he went to the "true or false" thread (completely unrelated to any of the disagreements), where posted the following.

QuoteNo, but I have grown tired of being patronised by some self-important third-raters (you know who you are).

I don't see why either of those situations required him to get personal and, frankly, that combined with his apparent inability to ever let anyone else get the last word doesn't give me the most sympathy for him. I do agree that Tank probably had a pretty short fuse with him last going off, and the merit of his responses are debatable but, like Siz, I don't know if I would have had much more restraint if I was in his place. Actually, when En_route and I got into it a few months ago, I pm'd Tank and asked him to keep me accountable because I was afraid I might start saying something uncivil/that I'd regret. Tank's response to me wasn't "Oh yeah, I like you better! Fuck that guy!" It was a very reasonable "you guys probably won't agree on this issue, try to calm down, etc."

After all of this happened, I did come to kind of like En_route and I'm not jumping up and down with joy to see him go. I just don't see what else could have happened if he was unwilling to change how he handles conflict.

EDIT: Changed "forum" to "thread" after first quote, sorry to mislead.

Tank

Quote from: Crow on July 08, 2012, 09:44:18 PM

"You are a sad little man xxxx"
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.