News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Childing

Started by Matt, January 27, 2011, 02:55:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt

First, some background: I'm a junior in high school and became an atheist last summer.  My parents are casual/evangelical hybrid: They go to church every week, send us (their kids) to a Christian private school (which I'll be leaving in my senior year), and hold most or all of the evangelical set of beliefs--but they're pretty mellow most of the time.  They don't yet know of my unbelief.

Now, the issue:  I can't take them seriously.  I find their religion ridiculous and that's poisoning pretty much everything they tell me to do.  I guess I shouldn't really bother myself with this.  I feel no real impetus to do any of the things they ask me to do or follow any of their rules, but I'll still do whatever it is if not doing it would get me in trouble or be a bad idea.  I do what I think is best.  Now that I've written it down, it doesn't seem stupid at all, but I'm still posting this because I would like advice anyway.  Advice on this, and on how to deal with living with religious parents.  I've read that some of you did this yourselves (I think.  I might be mixing forums), so I'd like to know what you did and hear your input.  The constant church/bible/god/jesus crap is still annoying, but it's gotten less so the more time has passed.  If you have any suggestions for things I could do about that it would be great.

Whitney

So if you are a junior now you have about a year and a half before you head off to college (and presumably therefore out of your parent's direct control)....to keep the household peace I think I'd try to just keep their wishes as well as I can knowing it's only for a short time. Of course, I say this realizing that a year feels like a long time to a teenager.

Perhaps after you get out of high school they'll start to view you as an adult and that will make it easier for you to express your difference of opinion.

Will

Hey, Matt. I de-converted as a high school freshman, but I had to live in a religious household until college. At the time, however, I was fairly sheltered and somehow didn't realize that there were other atheists in the world. I thought I was one of the only ones, if not the only one. It was quite lonely.

I suggest using the internet to help vent and gain a sense of community with people of similar beliefs. I wish I had the internet when I was younger. Also, try to keep everything in perspective. Your parents may be saying some fairly crazy stuff sometimes, but if they're anything like most parents, they're just doing their best to make sure you grow up to be self-sufficient, moral, and happy.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.